hf1

Garden Makeover

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Garden Makeover

Postby Allie » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:40 pm

@clothmama suggested that I start a thread to document all the work I'm doing in the garden this year.

Yesterday's progress
General tidy up and cutting the lawn

Creating a gnome village and building a rockery

Clearing a space in the corner of the garden to build a den for the kids

Today's work involved clearing one of the border beds ready for planting. Dexter helped me with this especially digging in compost made in our very own home compost bin (I'm a little bit proud of the quality compost we got out of it!)
Before:
After:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Garden Makeover

Postby clothmama » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:39 pm

Excellent - very jealous of your compost @Allie - any tips??

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:57 am

clothmama wrote:Excellent - very jealous of your compost @Allie - any tips??

We use a proper compost bin and turn the contents over every 6 months or so. Also when we had the chickens I used to put their soiled nesting box material (shredded paper) and daily poop scoop pickings in. Since then we've produced really good compost. We've also left it a lot longer this time before using it, probably a year to 18 months.

Not sure if any of the above helps @clothmama?

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:16 pm

Today's progress. Another border patch cleared, composted and ready for planting. Also we've removed most of the ivy from our side of the fence although it's pretty damaged from it so we'll have to replace the fence panel at some point. Dexter is doing an epic job and really enjoying taking the before and after pics, as am I!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:37 pm

Looks really good@allie
I too need to sort compost as the one they left behind was unruly and out of control. It's also been dug up to leave space for a pad for a shed. Compost us being used to fill my new beds and then I ll have to start again. There were two plastic bin things left behind too which have just sat..... do you mean those @allie ?

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:31 pm

confusinglady wrote:Looks really good@allie
I too need to sort compost as the one they left behind was unruly and out of control. It's also been dug up to leave space for a pad for a shed. Compost us being used to fill my new beds and then I ll have to start again. There were two plastic bin things left behind too which have just sat..... do you mean those @allie ?

Yes @confusinglady, I use a black plastic compost bin. It's hidden at the bottom of the garden but is much better than the compost heap we used to have. Much easier to get at the compost from the sliding hatch at the bottom.

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:54 pm

Today we worked on cleaning all the hanging spinners so they were all shiny again and we also painted our old bistro set ready to put in the kids den.

Before:

After:

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:11 pm

Looks fabulous @allie
I really struggle to get mine to help with anything like that and after the other day I ve decided to lower my expectation to zero and just plod on with the few minutes I can grasp! :lol:
I

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Allie » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:50 am

Yesterday's progress. Swept, tidied and cleaned the patio. I used a solution of mild detergent, bicarbonate of soda and white vinegar. It's not perfect but it is slightly improved.

Before:

After:

Next

Return to The Veggie Patch