hf1

New raised beds 2020

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

New raised beds 2020

Postby confusinglady » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:19 am

This year is the year!!! Been talking about it for the last two.
So, it's been pretty big job because we wanted to revamp the whole area..... and we're no where near finishing yet!

We needed some trees to be taken down due to them being too close to our house and next doors. Roots were causing problems for both of us and they were concerned every time the wind blew.

Before: Image
A view from our house, the veg patch first bit on the right. Straight in front was a play area that DH built for the kids - but just gets overgrown and no one plays on it or sits on it. Also where we get our evening sun.
Last years veg patch.

We had so much water over winter our garden looked like this:
We had to walk on it to get to the guinea pig in the summer house. So our plan is to bring the summer house down to a patio area where the wood chip play area is. We won't have to walk on our garden in winter so if it's wet that's fine.
Would also like to have somewhere nice to sit in the evening sun as our garden is north facing.

So we had the trees removed properly and then we ve done the rest ourselves. Cleared lots of shrubs, managed to successfully move some large shrubs and hellebores to our flower bed. Spent hours chipping the brush and branches from the trees (also had 4 removed at the bottom of the garden- don't worry we still have about 20 trees left!)
Nearly sank the digger - you know all good fun!! :hohoho:

Whilst we had the digger in we removed our overgrown compost heap and moved the contents down to eventually put in the new beds. We removed a big flower bed that needed so much work and I don't have the time, plus the kids just kept losing balls in there :roll:
We removed a big flower bed from very close to the back of our house as it blocked so much light from the patio windows on our north facing rooms - heaven knows why it was planted there!!! Took away the view.

This is before the digger but after some clearing:

We've spent weeks chopping up what was dug out, flattening what is left ( which is not finished yet) our garden has looked horrendous! However it's looking so much better now and we even managed to clear everything and now the lawn which always helps. Still lots to do on our 'lovely evening patio' which is currently mud mountain! But here are some of he raised beds: DH has done all of this himself.

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: New raised beds 2020

Postby Allie » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:18 am

It's looking great @confusinglady. Looking forward to more pics as the work progresses.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:39 am

Wow mega works going on - looks great and look forward to progress pics!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:50 am

Image Progress!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:20 am

Update pics needed @confusinglady ! I'm so so jealous, I've decided I'm going to try to source some wood and gets some sides on my beds. I think it will help with weeds which are a nightmare here. Do you find they help?

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:28 am

:mrgreen: Wow

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:46 am

clothmama wrote:Update pics needed @confusinglady ! I'm so so jealous, I've decided I'm going to try to source some wood and gets some sides on my beds. I think it will help with weeds which are a nightmare here. Do you find they help?

They are fantastic @clothmama :love: will post a photo

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:52 am

@clothmama this is this mornings photo. The windbreak ( very retro original 1960s one which DH s gran gave us to go to the beach :giggle:) is shading my courgette, squash and melon plants as they wilted when I planted them out! They’re in the sunniest spot which I know they’ll love but when just planted it was too much.
The back bed is empty at the mo and I think I will put my rhubarb in there and maybe a fruit bush at some point but for this year I’ve been given a million tomato plants and the girls love tomatoes so I figure I could plant them out. Also have loads of pepper plant and trying to decide if they could go there too. I ll keep some in green house. Just need to time to sort it all out!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:12 pm

Wow they look sooooo good - I'm super jealous! That wood here would cost a fortune! I'm going to have to have much thinner stuff!

Next

Return to The Veggie Patch