2020 harvest tally

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

2020 harvest tally

Postby clothmama » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:04 pm

Image I'm hoping to get some good harvests this year and I thought I really would like to keep track of what grows best etc. I didn't plan on picking anything but 1 cucumber had a crazy amount growing but the bush wasn't very big so I thought it may do better taking 3 mini ones off. What do you think @confusinglady oh cucumber guru?? There were a few potatoes that had jumped out of the ground so I just picked them up (and tried to hill up a bit on others).

Lettuce:
3 baskets (will weigh next time for approx)

Cucumbers:
9/6 .105 kg

Raspberries:
9/6 .120 kg

Potatoes:
9/6 .280 kg

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: 2020 harvest tally

Postby confusinglady » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:34 am

:giggle: just reading the numbers at the bottom and thinking - wow that’s a lot of cucumbers. And wow you counted each raspberry ..... then realised its weight isn’t it?! :hohoho:
Yes I’d say pick the cucumbers @clothmama as the bush will then concentrate on producing more, are there many more growing? It should just keep growing longer through the season. You’re supposed to pick one centre bit and concentrate on the one allowing it to get longer. Any side shoots that start to appear chop off after the first fruit/ flower, so that it can concentrate on those. A bit like pruning grapes..... which reminds me... I need to do that.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:48 am

confusinglady wrote::giggle: just reading the numbers at the bottom and thinking - wow that’s a lot of cucumbers. And wow you counted each raspberry ..... then realised its weight isn’t it?!

Yes, hope to get totals in kg by the end so started with it that way @confusinglady !

confusinglady wrote:are there many more growing?

Yes on that one there seems to be lots of babies and flowers but the bush is really short and doesn't seem to be growing up the string like the other 2 (different variety I think!).

confusinglady wrote:You’re supposed to pick one centre bit and concentrate on the one allowing it to get longer. Any side shoots that start to appear chop off after the first fruit/ flower, so that it can concentrate on those. A bit like pruning grapes..... which reminds me... I need to do that.

I'll have to have a closer look at it and see if I can work that out. I thought you only pruned grapes in the winter :loopy: gosh this gardening is confusing!

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:11 pm

confusinglady wrote::giggle: just reading the numbers at the bottom and thinking - wow that’s a lot of cucumbers. And wow you counted each raspberry ..... then realised its weight isn’t it?! :hohoho:

Exactly how I read it! :oops: :hohoho:

I need to read your advice on cucumber plants again I think.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:42 pm

:hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho: @autumnalgirl
I wish there had been 120 raspberries :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
clothmama wrote:Raspberries:
9/6 .120 kg

They sell them in 125g (so almost the same) - normally €1.99, although at the moment I think €1.49 - and that is Lidl - anywhere else you can double that so it is a seriously good value crop!!!!

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:49 pm

:giggle: I also read it as 9 out of 6 and thought hows that possible !!! :hohoho:

I really wouldn’t worry if there’s lots coming @clothmama - the only thing you don’t want is for them all to not grow into bigger cucumbers and be really weedy. If you limit the numbers you get bigger cucumbers. Not necessarily long ones but fat ones - oo er missus!
Yours look fine though. It might be a smaller/ snack cucumber plant which I like better anyway.
With grapes you pick a few main stems and then any side shoots you pinch out after the first flowers/ bunch start to form.
This is only what I’ve read and done! I m not really an expert! Just seems to have worked so far. It seems many vine, climbing type plants you need to pinch out the secondary side shoots to allow the main plant to continue to grow and to make sure the fruits coming get the attention or it will turn into a lovely bush of leaves but the fruits won’t do much. Like punching out tomatoes. I was always wary of removing any part of the plant when I first started growing but it definitely helps the plant concentrate on the big you want.
I ve also in the last 2 years started removing the big tomato leaves underneath the tomatoes which are forming as apparently they’re not needed and take energy from the plant. Apparently you can grow squash and courgettes that way so I m going to try this year.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:54 pm

Vegetables / Salads:

Cucumbers:

9/6 - .105 kg

Lettuce:
3 baskets (will weigh next time for approx)

Potatoes:
9/6 - .280 kg

Fruit

Raspberries:
9/6 - .120 kg

Rhubarb
14/06 - .435 kg

Herbs

Chamomile:
14/06 - 5g

Discovered today that I have random chamomile that has come up in the garden, I've tried planting seeds with no luck before but obviously birds or wind did something!!!! Very pleased as we drink a lot of tea and will be so nice to have our own. One of my Echanacea plants is covered in buds so hoping to also have tea for winter colds :love: . Rhubarb doing well just did a first harvest of that as well.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:30 pm

Vegetables / Salads:

Cucumbers:

9/6 - .105 kg
20/06 - .120

Lettuce: