hf1

What to plant when?

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

What to plant when?

Postby megansmummy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:08 pm

Hubby and I have started digging out the garden to make our vegetable patch...well we have dun out the boarders as we currently dont have any and plan to grow veggies allong to boarders and then in pots/basket and grow bags...

So what do you put in when? im going to get plant plugs rather than planting from seed...any help would be fab! :mrgreen:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: What to plant when?

Postby ladybird » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:13 pm

As soon as you get the plugs, plant them!! Most companies selling plugs will send them at the right time, they'll have started them at the correct time iyswim. If you've gone with Rocket Gardens then they should be a good size and don't come in pots anyway, so need planting with a day or two of arriving.

We're going to plant radish, carrot and tomato seeds this week and then the rest come in plugs from RG.

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:17 pm

ladybird wrote:As soon as you get the plugs, plant them!! Most companies selling plugs will send them at the right time, they'll have started them at the correct time iyswim. If you've gone with Rocket Gardens then they should be a good size and don't come in pots anyway, so need planting with a day or two of arriving.

We're going to plant radish, carrot and tomato seeds this week and then the rest come in plugs from RG.

We just planted Carrots, Radishes and sunflowers (not to eat :giggle: ) Mum's buying us a second planter to do some other things in
If you go to the BBC website, they're doing a thing called 'Dig In' where they send free seeds. We got Squash, Carrots, Salad, Cougette and... something else that I forget lol

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:46 pm

Send off for these viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39264&p=443693&hilit=free+seeds#p443693

i have just planted seeds for runner beans/drawrf beans and peas on my windowsill ready to go out later and early peas outside. I bought 4 pkts from Asda Livong (i think) for £4, and will get hundreds from them. They are so easy and lovely in summer when you are picking them. Tomatoes I tend to plant seeds and buy plugs and always have hanging baskets in with toms on the washing line :giggle: as well as in pots.

Seed potatoes are great to plant, and you can use your old compost/soil bags for them. Lettuce, rocket and herbs you could do indoors now.

Tory pm me your address and I will send you some seeds.

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:25 pm

I was just going to say about the BBC Dig in. We have a big envelope of seeds to plant too. :wine:

Return to The Veggie Patch