hf1

Where to plant...in the ground or in pots/tubs/growbags etc?

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Where to plant...in the ground or in pots/tubs/growbags etc?

Postby megansmummy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:59 pm

Ok so by my posts im guessing you all know this gardening malarky is a bit new to us :oops: :giggle:

We have enough space to grow the veg in the ground but I cant decide wether thats best or wether its best to grow in containers? In containers I can control the earth ...where as in the ground im not sure what our soil is like? How can i prep the earth in the ground? what do i need to add?

Or is it just easier to plant them in pots/tubs/growbags etc??

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Where to plant...in the ground or in pots/tubs/growbags etc?

Postby Sally » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:05 pm

I got my free seeds and was going to use grow bags :-?
as im not very good at gardening my things don't grow :giggle: thought that would be easier,

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:09 pm

We only have a yard and last year i managed to grow strawberries,courgettes,peppers,salad,spring onions,sugar snap peas and dwarf beans in pots.dh is building me a flower bed this year as i think it'll be easier!

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:10 pm

You can buy a soil tester from the garden centre, they cost a couple of pounds and will tell you the acidity/alkaline levels of your soil.

I only have a small patch of soil and a yard. The soil is planted with our fruit bushes. Over the years the majority of our fruit and veg has been grown in pots, grobags (tomatoes), hanging baskets, old pans, we had peas one year in old wellies :giggle: in fact once the hot weather kicks in anything i can find that holds compost gets planted :giggle: .

I def benefit from having a south facing garden, but do find that (even though people tell me they wont grow) that you can grow virtually anything in a pot/container/grobag and its pretty esay. I would love a garden though.

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:25 pm

Have you any idea what type of soil you have, is it sandy and fine or claggy and heavy(clay)
The type of soil you have can dictate what you can plant, but a good dose of compost does wonders to any type of soil.
We always manure our veg patch cos we have heavy clay soil but this is best done the autumn before so the frost can help break it all down to a crumble.
You can grow stuff in pots very easily but you really have to be on top of the watering, once or twice a day if its warm, if you plant directly in the ground you can get away with 2-3 times a week.
Also always pick the sunniest spot in the garden too and avoid any areas at this time of year that may get frosty in the mornings.
If you have a spare black rubbish bin (you know the type you put your black landfill sacks into)you can grow a whole bin of potatoes, it takes a bit of attention and watering but the results are great.
Tory, if you need any advice i`m happy to help.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:27 pm

Thanks everyone!

trace, our soil appears to be quite heavy and claggy :-? We have lived here for 6 years and never grown anything apart from unintentional weeds since then :oops: Bins of potatoes soun like a fab idea though! I feel totaly clueless and dont want to mess it all up!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:29 pm

Woozle35 wrote: we had peas one year in old wellies :giggle: in fact once the hot weather kicks in anything i can find that holds compost gets planted :giggle: .

:giggle:

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:42 pm

Courgettes seem to grow anywhere and are very prolific, cherry toms grow in tubs well, you could try salad veg too ,wild rocket is a favourite here and peas and beans are easy too,just watch out for blackfly
ETA have you looked at the Gardeners World website, that has always been a good place to check out, and its month by month too

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:16 pm

megansmummy wrote:Thanks everyone!

trace, our soil appears to be quite heavy and claggy :-? We have lived here for 6 years and never grown anything apart from unintentional weeds since then :oops: Bins of potatoes soun like a fab idea though! I feel totaly clueless and dont want to mess it all up!

Remember that if you plant in a bin you must make sure that there is adequate drainage, potatoes have a habit of getting blight if they get too wet.

I found compost bags pretty good too, just turn them inside out, plant a spud at the bottom and keep topping up with compost so that they keep covered and don't go green. I had some great results that way.
You can grow veg in most places. Your soil sounds like clay, there is a simple test, grab a handful and roll it about to make a sausage shape, if it stays that shape then it is.
You can grow lots in clay, it is very fertile but can be a real pain to work with! You need to add LOTS of organic matter to it, manure, compost mulches and even gravel to help with drainage. Just google ways to improve clay soil, you should find lots of tips there.
You could also try making some raised beds, I have them in my garden and all you need is a few scaffolding boards and some smallish wooden stakes. It took me a couple of afternoons to build 5 of them. They produced loads last year and you have a sense of control over the soil inside although filling them is quite pricy unless you buy topsoil in bulk.

Hope that helps. xx

Next

Return to The Veggie Patch