hf1

Cucumber plants, watering and other questions!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Cucumber plants, watering and other questions!

Postby megansmummy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:11 am

So...

I have a cucumber plant in the kitchen and its getting HUGE, it needs to go outside...will it be ok outside? its currently probably almost 3ft tall :shock: Someone at hubby works gave it to me so i really dont know what to do with it. It has started flowering in the last couple of days :) It was only about 15cm tall when i got it 2 weeks ago! it sure has grown fast!! :giggle:

Strawberries are flowering now too...

as are the tomatoes but the tomatoes plants are only about 1ft tall? does that sound about right? :-?

Carrots are doing great, nice and bushy.

Peas...well something is eating the leaves :( they are about 1.5ft tall...does that sound about right? These are also starting to flower.

Onions...these are doing ok i think...the green tops are getting really long now :)

Cabbages and cauliflowers are HUGE :shock: the cauliflowers (i think...might be the cabbages) are way past my knees!

I have been watering in the evening but since its gotten really warm everything is starting to get a bit limp...is it ok to water really early morning too? or not?

What do you feed your veggies with? any recomendations?

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Cucumber plants, watering and other questions!

Postby Pinchette » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:41 am

I just water when it needs it tbh. So when it's warm every day. I think it 's ok to water early morning. I think they don't recommand to water in full sun.
Everything seem a very happy and healthy.
Cucumber: just re-pot it if needed or plant it outside.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:12 am

Don't have any advice but just want to say it all sounds lovely. You must have a lovely size garden for all that. WE have a bit of fenced off dead ground at the bottom of our back garden but it is sloped, guess we could do something with it, it is just weeds just now!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:15 am

Thanks Gisele :)

kirsty, my garden is a lovely size, the lawn is just weeds though, it realy needs returfing...there isnt really any lawn left. we have everything except the cabbages/caulis in posts/growbags on the patio and the cuc plant is currently in the kitchen. It does slope though and could really do with being landscaped into a two tear garden..but we havnt got around to it yet :roll:

Next year im planning to put much more into the boarders...i didnt really want to overdo it this year with it being the first time we have tried...but next year i want potatoes, courgettes, carrotts, onions and a few other bits in the boarders amd much more it it :)

Im loving it :)

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:40 am

I have been watering the veg in the morning too, but ours is in pots waiting to be put in the borders. If they are in pots they will need more. You could try watering at the end of the day (when they will drink) and then before bed to top up the compost.

as for feeding I just use Miracle Gro for the normal veg and liquid tomato food for the tomatoes.

Did you pinch out the tomatoes? Think I need to do this with mine, must look it up as to what comes off. Height wise it depends on the variety, you can get dwarf peas or some that grow to over 6 ft, similarly with tomatoes you can get "patio" varieties that don't grow so tall.

Not too late to bung a few courgette seeds in the borders and see if they romp away :wink:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:45 am

I've just been watering in the evenings but mine do need feeing again...

Ruth what do you mean by pinching them out - do you mean removing the growing tips?
I'm not sure how tall I should let our tomato plant get! :lol:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:51 am

Velvetsteph wrote:I've just been watering in the evenings but mine do need feeing again...

Ruth what do you mean by pinching them out - do you mean removing the growing tips?
I'm not sure how tall I should let our tomato plant get! :lol:

Trying to remember, not sure if you are supposed to pinch them out (which is removing the tips) or remove side shoots so you just have the one stem - will c=just check with the Gardening Expert

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:18 pm

No i havnt done anything with the tomatoes yet...tbh its all a bit new and im sort of winging it :oops: :giggle:

BUT i have just noticed that right at the top of the cucumber plant we have TWO cucumbers!! :wine: They are about an inch long and the flower is growing on the end of them...they look a bit funny actually!! Its the first one of our plants to fruit!! :wine: :wine: :wine: There are flowers all down the cuc plant so hopefully there is lots more to come! :mrgreen:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:08 pm

From my vegetable espert book - side shoots will appear on the tomato plant where the leaf shoots join the stem. Pinch them out when they are about 1 inch long.

This is for cordon varieties - depends on the variety, some are bush types. Do you know the variety? the idea with a cordon tomato is to produce one long stem that all the fruit forms on. After the 4th truss has set, stop the stem i.e pinch out the growing tip, to hasten ripening before the autumn frosts.

Return to The Veggie Patch