Tomato plants

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Tomato plants

Postby Shaunie » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:41 pm

Due to poor weather over the 'summer' our tomatoes are still green :(

The few the boys pulled off have ripened on the kitchen window sill which catches the sun when we get it! So, I was wondering if I should bite the bullet & pick them all & hope they ripen on the window sill? Doubt they'll be any better outside TBH. Any advice welcome :)

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Tomato plants

Postby Woozle35 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:46 pm

I know bananas have something in them that make other fruits ripen, so you could try putting some bananas near them once you have picked them.

If not, make chutney it is great way to use up green tomatoes. :D

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:49 pm

Where are they planted at the moment, they need the sunniest part of the garden, if they are in pots can you move them?.
I f you want to pick them now and ripen them it may be a good idea cos the best of the summer sun has gone now i think, you could always make green tomato chutney with the ones that dont ripen, still yummy :D

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:53 pm

They are planted in bags so can be moved.

Oooh, I remember reading something about putting green tomatoes in a kitchen drawer with a banana to ripen.

Think I will try some in a drawer with a banana, some ion the window sill & leave the rest outside. Didn't think about chutney so at least they won't be wasted.

Thanks ladies :D

My avatar
Freyarose
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Freyarose » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:50 am

Probably a bit late to answer this but

If u put a really ripe tomato in a brown paper bag with a few unripe ones and leave for a couple of days they will ripen !

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:22 am

Freyarose wrote:Probably a bit late to answer this but

If u put a really ripe tomato in a brown paper bag with a few unripe ones and leave for a couple of days they will ripen !

Ther are all in a kitchen drawer with a banana now and yes, they have ripened! Some still not quite there. Has taken a couple of weeks though. At least I know for next time - thank you :D

Return to The Veggie Patch