hf1

Do you grow your own?

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Do you grow your own?

Postby Caroline » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:08 am

I was just wondering if people grow their own veg and if so what. Last year I planted potatoes, carrots and strawberries with India and she really loved growing her own food. This year I'd like to expand this a little but want to keep to container pots so I've come to you ladies for inspiration. The front of my house faces south and the patio north so we can cover most growing conditions. So what are you all growing this year? A growing calendar would be useful of when to plant and then when you would harvest if anyone knows of any.

My avatar
Chooky
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Do you grow your own?

Postby Chooky » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:17 am

A few ladies on here do
viewforum.php?f=122

I want to but my backyard is kinda slanty :giggle: I definitely will when we finally move house in the next year or two.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:26 am

I've previously grown courgettes, sugar snap peas/mange tout, dwarf runner beans/ french beans, lots of salad leaves, peppers, strawberries, tomatoes all in pots.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:34 am

We do, in our teeny garden. We've worked out what we do best over the last few years and tend to stick to them. Tomatoes we do in upturned buckets, hanging. Carrots, spinach, potatoes, courgettes (although courgettes are a bit hit and miss, one year we've had soooo many, and then last year we got one :lol: ). We've tried peas, beans, broad beans, strawberries, etc. but we don't really have the space to do enough to harvest more than a meal's worth iyswim. Spinach I find soul destroying, you can grow masses and by the time you cook it you're left with very little.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:42 am

I have dabbled in it when we had a big garden in our first house in France. This year I was determined to do some so have had tomatoes and 146 gms of green beans :hohoho: :hohoho: I think they were the most expensive beans in the world!! All in pots as we are renting.

I can't wait to grow some properly when we have our own home again :wine:

I'll move this over to the Veggie Patch forum :wink:

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:04 am

clothmama wrote:I'll move this over to the Veggie Patch forum :wink:

:doh: The forum I hadn't even noticed!

I like the idea of peas and maybe green beans. India doesn't like tomatoes and it's not much fun to grown soemthing you don't like is it. I'll avoid spinach Shadow. On a cost per cooked gram basis I bet it cost a fortune too.

I don't suppose anyone has any good container planting books do they?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:11 am

Part of the new lifestyle forum called Tree Life that I set up today :wink: so you didn't not notice it for a long time or anything :hohoho:

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:42 am

We did a bit of planting last year and dh has already turned the veggie patch over and is making plans for this year based on what worked and what didnt for us. We got our seedlings from our local Eco Centre which made them expensive but the knowledge the man passed on made it worthwhile, otherwise I say we would have given up pretty quickly.

What worked - gooseberries, rhubarb, carrots, spring onions, tomatoes, potatoes, broccoli

Not so good - blackberries, blueberries, cabbage, lettuces (well half of them grew after we bought plastic collars for them to stop the bugs attacking but that made them very expensive :? ), cauliflower (we got 1 :? out of about 12), parsnips, onions

This year Im adding some snap peas, green beans, and a herb garden in there and will be using pots for the tomatoes and onions, and bags for the potatoes. The fruits are all still there from last year, and will retry pretty much everything we tried last year to see if a bit of experience helps :wink:

The guy we bought the seedlings from lent us a book at the time called The Walled Garden or something similar and it was very good - I think we also had a planting calendar from somewhere online we got free seeds from - will try and remember where, it was on here in the money saving tips at a time if you wanted to have a look before I get the chance :D

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:06 am

Thanks Sadie I will have a look tonight when the kids are in bed :D

I'm keen not to miss the prime planting season and end up with nothing as India enjoyed it so much.

Next

Return to The Veggie Patch