hf1

Plot 49 - August on the Allotment 2011

My avatar
babygrowbelly
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Plot 49 on the allotment!

Postby babygrowbelly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:09 pm

fluffy_mummy wrote:I think you may get a funny look from your neighbour when you offer them the use of your butt! :giggle:

wine very nearly went over laptop :barflol:

love the pics Ems x

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Ohh I love those pink squashes.. they get HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most seeds I take from the yr before especially squashes and toms, but I do buy onion sets :oops: and leeks and anything with a small seed basically! I use realseeds.co.uk but I do a seed share everywhere with a few others, so none of us pay much!

edit.. its co.uk// not com!!

My avatar
baby_bufters
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby baby_bufters » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Wow I am jealous.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:16 pm

Our plans for this yr :)

I'll be using companion and sacrificial planting methods. ie Onions with carrots, and chinese cabbage for the slugs to eat with the lettuce etc, slugs dont eat lettuce if there is a chinese cabbage there ;) So you end up with no chinese cabbage, but lots of non eaten lettuce!

I'll be doing a 4 yr rotation with a fixed bed each for fruit, perennials like rhubarb and jerusalem artichokes, and annual/perennial herbs.
Plot A will be pulses, swedes and turnips, and spring cabbages going over to winter and spring brassicas.
Plot B's will be the miscellaneous beds for summer crops such as radishes marrows, pumpkins, spinach, courgettes etc
Plot C's will be the root crops with onions going over to potatoes next yr.
plot D is for potatoes and leeks, going over to pulses next yr

The bed nearest the shed will the perennial veg/fruit patch for rhubarb, Jerusalem artichokes and asparagus. The one nearest the compost will the herb garden, annual and perennial. The two front beds will be fruit cages with raspberry, gooseberry, goji berry, cranberry and blueberry canes in. All around the edges will be strawberries ;)
Last edited by ems on Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:22 pm

Congratulations, you are clearly so happy and excited about it :wine: Sounds like alot of rules, but great that they've found a way round the 'no hose' one. Love the plan for this year. I wish I could be that organised, I just threw a few seeds in pots last year and hoped for the best!

My avatar
willowherb
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby willowherb » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:22 pm

The plan looks fab :D This year all our beds are going to be growing flowers for our wedding. It means we wont have very much veg, but we wont have to pay for the flowers. The seed share idea is brilliant ive not heard of it before, i should really try and save more of our little seeds like toms and peppers :oops:

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Thats a great idea growing your own flowers for the wedding!!! I think its nice sharing seeds, you hardly ever use full packets, and I hate seeing packets dating from 2002 etc in my stash, hating to throw them away but never wanting to sow them because the rate will be so low. As long as you don't use hybrid plants, you can save all your seeds :) I like old fashioned ones anyway, heirloom plants, things like tom seeds are really easy to collect, I just take the best tomato of its kind tom from the best plant, fill up a jar with water put the seeds and juice and jelly from the toms in, fill it over the tomato seeds, cover and leave in a warm place with water and leave for a few days to ferment.. it wont smell nice!!! The bad seeds float and the good seeds go to the bottom :) Natural selection ;)

Flush away the bad seeds and spread the good seeds on a piece of kitchen roll on a plate and leave to dry .. store as you would any other seed :) Once in a while I'll phone up able and cole and ask about the veg I have in the box.. a nice squash etc.. ask if its a hybrid or not.. if its not, I keep the seeds and grow it again :) It goes through the natural fermentation stage that a tomato would do if left to rot and self seed on the ground.

Here is a better way of explaining it!! http://mrbrownthumb.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... seeds.html

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Ems you put me to shame. We have the space for an "allotment" plot at the bottom of our garden (garden is long and thin) but I just can't get round to it - whenever I grow veg I hardly get enough to justify the outlay or time involved :oops:

Bummer about the rules tho, what's the point of having an allotment if there's no immoral behaviour allowed :wink: :giggle: I thought that's what they were for!!!!

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:45 pm

northernruth wrote:Bummer about the rules tho, what's the point of having an allotment if there's no immoral behaviour allowed :wink: :giggle: I thought that's what they were for!!!!

:lol: :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to The Veggie Patch