hf1

Plot 49 - August on the Allotment 2011

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Plot 49 - August on the Allotment 2011

Postby ems » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:54 pm

Well I am am now the proud tenant of my 5.5rod (126m2 ish) allotment plot! I've been on the list for three years, and my new years present from the council was a phonecall to say I had come to the top of the list and as I had phoned up 6 times last yr, they knew I wouldn't say no to the plot! They even put in a disabled toilet for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Came all the way from Germany apparently!!!!

I am sooooo delighted, as since I no longer live on a farm, land is an issue. We do not have a huge front or back garden, and with the chickens I already have taking up one of my raised beds, and pecking anything in sight when they get let out, there is not a lot of space to grow food all year round, barely enough to go through one summer season to be honest. Certainly not enough to can, freeze and preserve in anyway shape or form! I have around 50 giant pots, which come out in spring to contain toms, peppers, beans, courgettes, squashes, summer and winter lettuces, the odd cabbage and purple sprouting broc' but never enough to store!

We spend £24 a week with able and cole, which is a bill I really want to get rid of, but I like the seasonal choice, instead of going to Waitrose and picking out the same veg religiously, same salad types and more or less the same fruit. I like that every week something changes that I have to make use of. When I look at the cost, that I spend over £1200 a year on fruit and veg.. it sort of hits home how expensive it truely is. It more expensive than electricity, its almost the cost of the interest on our mortgage !!

The day they phoned, Jan 3rd, I was down to the site with an hour! quickly viewed the plot and signed on the dotted line, grabbed the key and started making friends with a few others who were down there. Measured up.. and got home to start investigating greenhouses and potting sheds!

Two days later, my heart was thumping. An A4 package came though the post, marked with our local councils logo on the front! Ohhh, ripping it open I found...
First page: welcoming me to the allotment association, and hoping I will send them £5 a yr to retain this membership.
Second page: The bill, with a yearly mandate attached.
Third to eighty sixth page, yup 86 pages of : Rules and conditions ;) :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :shock: :shock:

My shed must be no higher than 8ft, the width must be no greater than 5ft, the length, 8ft. No immoral behaviour, no fires, no, no , no, no, you must compost everything you can, you must never leave the site without signing.. omg.. the list .. oh bees.. I can have bees if they are one of three varieties the council like.. erm.. the hard standing for the shed must be made with 6 parts sand to so many parts concrete.. blar blar.. jeesh.. it took me a morning to make sure nothing I had thought about doing already had been banned!

My only problem with my plans are my water carrying abilities. I phoned the council to ask if I may bend the rules on hosepipes, as I was unable to carry a watering can.. ( basically I can hold it one havnd and push round and round in circles with the other hand.. my other option is to put the watering can on my lap and push over the uneven ground and let it slosh around covering my crotch with wetness which I will basically put a sign on my head "cripple through and through" LOL I explained my dilemma, exactly as I just typed, the lady on the phone laughed hysterically, and said.. " you know, I never thought about the water thing, you can not have a hose pipe or pump from the communal trough, but I'll ask a few people here and phone you back when we have come up with something". To which I thanked her gratefully and waited for the phone call.

That afternoon, only 3 hours after my question to the council, she phoned back and gave me the solution ;) They will install a new permanent pipe, all the way to my plot, by which I can fill up a water tank. I can then use a hosepipe from "my" tank, to water the plants. LOL Ok, so I'm not allowed to use a hosepipe from the trough, as its against the rules, but I can move the water to my own "trough" and use a hosepipe from there.... which then keeps to the terms and conditions they wrote for this year, that they do not want to re-write ;)
Well I'm happy with that, and I'm sure my allotment neighbour will be thankful too when I meet him/her and ask if they would like to share my butt!!

I am not allowed to have a greenhouse, but I am allowed to have a potting shed with an angled front as long as the total glass is not over 40% of the entire structure ;) So I'll go with that...that seems quite alright to me. Greenhouses are quite expensive, sheds are pretty cheap.. but erm potting sheds I've just found out are a bit dear! But I have to think of it like a business. My total veg outgoings are over £1200 a yr, and £400 ish for a potting shed is a business expense, that can divide its cost over the next few years that it stands, growing my melons and grapes! I'm sure I may justify it after a few bottles of wine and melon schnapps! First years are always the expensive ones!

Well I'm sure If you have read this much, or your just looking for the pictures, you are dying to shut me right now and talk MUD! So here we go, new year, new start, new allotment, one very boring picture of a piece of land that is erm.. empty!!!

My plot from the front..

My plot from the side... nicer profile I think :) :giggle:

My allotment neighbours plot... Fruit trees galore!!

The steaming muck heaps.. 50p a wheelbarrow load from a few plots down

Seeds under the grow lamps that I've started.. which I"ll go into greater depth in a mo..

Early leeks have come up nicely.. 2 yr old seeds .. seems to be about 60% germination so far

Oh, and of course my key and the toilets....very interesting, but thought I'd throw them in! LOL
ImageImage

The council have asked if I'll keep a blog site for them as I'm apparently the first in our borough in a wheelchair to have an allotment by ones self, and not through a social services therapeutic schemes LOL So this will be my first post when I set it up :)
Last edited by ems on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Plot 49 on the allotment!

Postby fivefourfour » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:58 pm

I think you may get a funny look from your neighbour when you offer them the use of your butt! :giggle:
Last edited by fivefourfour on Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
lainey1978
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby lainey1978 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:59 pm

Wow, how exciting! I was going to apply to be on the list when we were in Inverkeithing but then we moved back north!

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:00 pm

Congrats on the new venture :wine: :wine:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:01 pm

:wine: :wine:
Fantastic, really happy for you.
Heres to many a happy dry crotch and butt sharing hour for you :giggle: :wine:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:01 pm

Wow! Fantastic!!

Are you allowed to build your own cold frames and re-use other items? I know some of our local allotments take old windows and other stuff for things like that.

My avatar
willowherb
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby willowherb » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:03 pm

Thats so exciting :D Ive got an allotment as we dont have a garden. The best thing i grow is weeds :giggle: i do get some nice veg to eat but most of the slugs, birds, cat and rabbits seem to get the best :giggle:
Happy growing for this year :wine: :wine:

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:04 pm

Oh gosh yes!!!! LOL BUtt !!! LOL :giggle: I think I'll quickly re-phrase that bit for the *blog* !!!

Any structure I want to put on the plot has to be authorised by a council *officer*, I have to send them plans, photos.. of anything I want to build, whether it be a cold frame or a new cage for fruit LOL No carpet is allowed to be used for pathways, It's a bit over the top, but saying that its a lovely site, its well kept, I don't really mind, as we have enough cold frames and large cloches here.. and I'm sure once my head is in the door I can just get the oversee'r to come over nad say yes or no to anything!

I'll put up my growing plans/plants etc for the this rotation in mo :)

My avatar
willowherb
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby willowherb » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:09 pm

we get some of our seeds from a really good website www.moreveg.co.uk, The seeds are quite cheap and they do so many different kinds. Last year we grew pink banana squash :D

Next

Return to The Veggie Patch