hf1

Veg/fruit with quickest turnaround

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Veg/fruit with quickest turnaround

Postby happytails » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:51 pm

What takes the least time to grow/produce from new. We are thinking of tryingto grow some veg this year

X

My avatar
rachyrach
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Veg/fruit with quickest turnaround

Postby rachyrach » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:08 pm

radish, lettuces or mixed leaves, early nantes carrots just off top of head.....

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:24 pm

I think it depends on your soil type. We have quite heavy (but nutrient-rich) soil and have found courgettes, peas (mange tout/runner beans/broad beans etc) all grow really well (and quite fast). I love growing my own salad leaves too - these seem to almost grow overnight in the middle of summer.

We've only just started with fruit (apart from apple trees) so will find out later this year if we get a decent crop of raspberries and gooseberries.

Sorry - I'm not exactly experienced, I'm sure there are loads of other things you could try.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:26 pm

Early onward peas, Red Alert Tomatoes (I think, and they're a bush variety too), radishes, spinach beet/perpetual spinach, salads.

Early potatoes can be put in now, although best if they've been chitted for a few weeks previously.

My avatar
elliebear
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby elliebear » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:04 pm

The fastest veg I have ever grown was spinach - I harvested the leaves as baby spinach ( ie: just take little tender leaves off as you want them, leaving the crown intact so it keeps growing and producing more leaves).
I think it was only 3-4 weeks from sowing seed to first harvest.
You have to keep on top of watering, though, spinach really doesn't like to get dry.

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:02 pm

corgettes treat us well, they take a little which to come up but then grow quickly and produce fruit. Pak choi is also good/

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:19 pm

Cress ;) :P

My avatar
elliebear
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby elliebear » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:01 pm

ems wrote:Cress ;) :P

The happy meal of the veggie world then?? :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
muffetly
Clothie
Clothie

Postby muffetly » Fri May 20, 2011 3:17 pm

I planted my window box about 3 weeks ago with rainbow chard, lambs lettuce, rocket and mixed lettuce. They are all popping through now and the chard and lettuce are almost ready to pick as baby leaves. I'll keep sowing every couple of weeks and should have a crop right through the summer. I noticed yesterday that my peas are just poking through but it will take a little while longer before it's peas for supper!!!

If you grwo from plants rather than seeds that should speed things up a bit, but might be more expensive!

Return to The Veggie Patch