hf1

How essential is crop rotation?

My avatar
cookielucylou
Clothie
Clothie

How essential is crop rotation?

Postby cookielucylou » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:19 pm

Been reading about crop rotation, but is it really essential? I wasnt planning on growing any peas etc but according to crop rotation you need this on one patch. I'm not keen on growing them as they seem fairly complicated and I'm a newbie to having a veggie patch.

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: How essential is crop rotation?

Postby babyroo » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:27 pm

We have never done it properly and our veg have generally all done well - the crops do move each year but only depending on where dh chooses to plant each not following any of the 'rotation rules'.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:20 am

Peas/beans are actually very easy to grow, they just need a bit of support/something to climb. If you're only growing a few plants then the harvest from them might not seem much, but kids love picking them off the plants and eating the peas straight from the pods :) There are loads of varieties of peas, and different colours of beans too! I haven't enough knowledge about crop rotation, but I think as long as you don't grow similar veggies in the same spot year after year, it should be OK.

My avatar
becsom
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby becsom » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:51 am

The main reason to rotate your crops is to reduce the risk of disease and to prevent reduction of particular nutrients in your soil.

I don't know the details, but I remember that legumes (peas etc) help to increase nitrogen in the soil so it's a good idea to have them in a different patch each year to reintroduce nitrogen levels in that area.

I think as long as you don't grow the same types of veg in the same plot every year, you should be ok.

My avatar
elliebear
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby elliebear » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:48 pm

I have to grow most of my veg in containers, makes crop rotation very easy, I can just move the container to another corner!! lol :hohoho:
No, seriously though, peas are SO easy I just gave them something to climb up and left them to it. They were supposed to be mangetout ie: small, tender, eat the baby pods as well, but I forgot them and they went far too big - the pods were no good (great for the compost bin) but we still got a good crop of ordinary garden peas which were very nice.

My avatar
Dark Star Designs
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Dark Star Designs » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:16 pm

It helps stop diseases and different crops do different things for the soil.
If you can't do a four crop/bed rotation then keep it simple and swop between above ground /below ground crops.

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:04 pm

I don't tend to worry unless I get pests. My caulis and broccoli got eaten by white cabbage butterfly last year so I've moved them (although I doubt it'll help much in this case!)

My avatar
elliebear
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby elliebear » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:06 pm

Dark Star Designs wrote:If you can't do a four crop/bed rotation then keep it simple and swop between above ground /below ground crops.

Ooh thanks! That makes it sound really easy!

Return to The Veggie Patch