My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Site Supporter

Meadow flowers?

Postby sim » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:47 am

Not veggie related but...

The horrible plants etc in our backyard are finally being taken out today :yahoo: so I can get started on plans for the garden.

The very end of the garden which gets good sun and has a pear tree (and a plum tree that overhangs from neighbours that we are allowed to pick from) will have veggies. There is also an abundance of blackberries in the field behind the house as well as an apple tree that everyone who lives on the block picks from. The clothes line is also up that way.

The middle section and towards the house wlll (eventually) have a table and chairs (maybe one of those wooden picnic tables) and already has Ewan's outdoor toys and a shed off to the side. DH also wants a BBQ.

Near the back of the house will have the herb pots and possible some strawberries in hanging baskets on the side of the kitchen wall.

As we are renting I'm reluctant to spend money on getting the ground levelled / turfed and beds made on the edge (and too lazy) so I though I'd create a bit of a meadow effect with some flowers / wild grasses etc to attract butterflies / birds.

What would you suggest I use? Seeds? particular plants / grasses / flowers? There are already some daffodils there....

TIA

My avatar
elliebear
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: Meadow flowers?

Postby elliebear » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:52 pm

I think I remember seeing some seed packets when I went to my local garden centre, they were called wildflower mix (or something like that). Worth asking if you have a garden centre nearby. I got a free packet of wildflower seeds in a gardening magazine a few years ago, and they come up very nicely, so I would recommend this method.
Good luck with the garden development, sounds like it will be lovely when it is all done.

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:06 pm

How about a camomile lawn? It spreads quickly but doesn't grow long so only needs mowing occasionally and you have a patch of lawn for DS to play on.

My avatar
elliebear
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby elliebear » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:59 pm

I think chamomile can be a bit variable depending on your soil.
I tried growing some on our heavy clay, and a year on it is very small and looking rather sad.
It wasn't for a lawn, just a herb border, but still looking rather pathetic and sorry for itself.
The thyme I planted, OTOH, is thriving. It has very tiny purple flowers, but is supposed to be excellent for bees etc.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:44 am

You could also try growing climbing plants (clematis, honeysuckle, jasmine, passionflower) up fences and through hedges etc, these are very pretty when in bloom and smell divine :D I don't plant flowers unless they smell nice, and that also attracts the wildlife. Seeds will be the cheapest way, although some online/catalouge plant companies are having sales on their bedding plants now, so you might get a bargain on them.

I also love wallflowers for their smell, easy to grow from seed cheaply. Nasturtiums grow well in poor soil and can be eaten too. I have a packet of "wildflower mix" that I got from a poundshop a few years ago, and it says on the back to sow seeds indiviually, then plant out certain distances apart blah blah...I just chucked them on the grass :wink: and some grew! You can also get a plant called a Butterfly Bush, i remember my granny had one and it was always covered in butterflies in the summer! Cornflowers, marigolds and oregano also attract butterflies.

This site might be helpful? http://www.thebutterflysite.com/gardening.shtml

It sounds really lovely, and you won't have to cut the grass! :wine:

Return to The Veggie Patch