hf1

Compost bin help if poss. (please)

My avatar
angiepangie2809
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Compost bin help if poss. (please)

Postby angiepangie2809 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:52 pm

Hi. My mum bought us a plastic compost bin as a moving house pressie because I had been wanting one for years. Have to tell you I am uber excited about it! Lol. Anyway. We've been putting garden cuttings/ veg and fruit peels/ or out of date fruit and veg ect. Plus eggshells and used tbags in there but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. We added some water as it looked bone dry but dp thinks somethings not quite right. Plus snails are in there...is that ok? Would love any tips for using and making the most of our compost bin if anyone has any? Thanks :-)

My avatar
ImisMummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Compost bin help if poss. (please)

Postby ImisMummy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:56 pm

We have a composter and have found that the egg shells havent done anything!
They left over normal food and veg etc is slowly going. But ours didnt start working until we put a rotting chicken in with it all and added lots of worms.
Hope this helps.

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:00 pm

Isn't urine meant to help speed the process up?!?

My avatar
ImisMummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ImisMummy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:01 pm

I think urine is supposed to help. Go squeeze some cloth nappies in it! :hohoho:

My avatar
victoriaw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby victoriaw » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:25 am

When you say garden cuttings.... is it fine chopped up stuff, or hedge trimmings etc...? You can't really put anything too big in..... Grass cuttings are good, sawdust, chicken manure if you have any neighbours with chickens? Yep, and urine really helps... :wink:
Also, you really need 2 bins, or a compost pile and a bin. It's best to mix up a full bin and let it do it's thing, rather than add to it bit by bit over time. We just chuck everything on the pile and then make up a bin full of well balanced stuff, close the lid and leave it to heat up for several months, stirring it up every few weeks...
hope that helps x

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:30 am

I'm interested in what you ladies are saying
We are moving into our 1st house in next few months - and I'll be able to finally do what i want in the garden, inc a compost bin, rather than what the landlord lets us do!

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:50 am

We've been composting for years. You need to give it a lot of time, it will work faster over the summer, when it's warmer. You can add bigger garden stuff to it, chop up bigger sticks though - and of course they'll take longer to compost. It needs air to work too so give it a good fork through and turnover once in a while. We add shredded paper and cardboard, egg boxes, etc. And a bit of liquid is good, although we generally find ours is wet enough with the fruit and veg scraps.

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:14 am

Toilet roll tubes are good to get air circulating in it. Also put a layer of grass cuttings spread over the top gets it nice and warm. You can get composting worms as well which do help speed things up.

We use an old coal bunker for ours so can get the compost out the bottom but you might be better with two so you can fill one then leave it and fill the other.

Return to The Veggie Patch