hf1

Very excited

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Very excited

Postby Asta » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:20 am

My veg plot isn't doing too well this year, my onions have seeded although some are still swelling so fingers crossed. My first sewings of carrots and parsnips have failed as have the pak choi and spring onions. No sign of my corgettes yet (how can you go wrong with corgettes?!) or the squash.

I sowed some tomatoes and baby corn in propagators about 10 days ago, checked them on Saturday and there was no sign of anything, went into the conservatory last night and the corn is 2" tall! :D I had to find a tupperware box because they were too tall for the propagator and I'm not keen to uncover them yet. My tomatos have begun to pop up too.

A big of a relief after my slow start, there's hope for this year yet!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Very excited

Postby Shaunie » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:43 am

Yay, fingers crossed everything else shows up! My tomatoes, lettice (sp), broad beans and corriander are doing well but the basil and carrots are only just peeping through.

I planted the tomatoes and broad beans into pots on my very sunny kitchen window sill and they did brill, only moved them outside at the weekend. I cheated and bought a small strawberry plant which is doing well too :D

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:47 am

I have one strawberry plant which is doing well but I got it too late to get strawberrys this year I think.

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:09 pm

My courgettes and squash have come up as well :wine:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:12 pm

My tomato plants got wind burn & a clever animal is getting to my ripe strawberries in the night before I do :( Glad your garden is going well :wine:

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:00 am

A bit of bird net over your strawberrys should protect them. I'm going to grow my tomatos in the conservatory this year.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:55 am

I didn't think of bird net, thanks :wine: There a about a dozen almost ripe so I'll do that today. I don't have anywhere sunny in the house that I can put my tomato plants. I have a sweet pepper & chilli plant too that would be better off inside. My dh was at one of his customer's houses yesterday & they have their tomato plants in the conservatory. She planted them seed 5 weeks ago & they were up to dh's butt :shock: I do have flowers appearing on a few of my plants though so I will get some tomatos.

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:00 am

how about one of those little green houses? The ones with the metal frame and plastic cover.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:09 am

My sil has one of those because they have a tiny backyard & her plants aren't growing at all :-? Her tomato plants were planted the same day as mine & her ones are only 3 inches high. MIL does a lot of veggie growing so we just used her seeds & stuff when we were all down there one day. Don't know what happened there. This is my first year planting anything so it's all a learning curve this year. I'm happy just to see what I get. On the plus side my cauliflowers are thriving :D

Return to The Veggie Patch