hf1

Cats in the garden

My avatar
osiansmami
Clothie
Clothie

Cats in the garden

Postby osiansmami » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:36 am

Do any of you green fingered ladies have any solutions of how to keep cats from defecating in my garden? I have a veggie patch that has been unplanted for the past two years as I had a baby last Spring and he has kept me very busy. The local cats have decided to make it their communal toilet and consequently my garden stinks and I can't really let my toddler play out there because he constantly makes a beeline for the veggie patch. I have a dog but they seem to do their business at night when she is tucked up in bed and I have tried some spray thing that I got in pets at home but nothing seems to keep them away.

I am thinking that my only solution is to turf over it but I think its too late in the year now?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Cat's in the garden

Postby scarlet » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:43 am

Keeping my eyes on this thread!

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:45 am

My friend uses something similar to his and has had graet results http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONIC-CAT-DOG-FOX ... 4aab531321 I know that some people can also hear it (my dh can).

I trained both my cats not to go in the garden by spraying water over them, but as they are coming at night you would struggle with this. :giggle:

My avatar
Chooky
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Chooky » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:56 am

Used coffee grounds, citrus peel or lavender.
We use the coffee grounds and that does the trick :wink:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:04 am

We had one of those device things as well at our old house, coke and the like bottles filled with water is meant to deter them as well as is the coffee and citrus, a water pistol is always fun one of the fab kids ones, :oops:
We had a big problem with neighbours cats at our last place, disgusting things, a paint ball gun would be my answer :oops:

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:06 am

Or as a drastic measure, get your own cat! :giggle:
Honestly, it does work, as they view their own back garden as their own territory and once the initial "fighting for territory" has settled down, you should find that the waifs & strays keep away.

But other than that, I don't really have any other more serious suggestions. I've had cats for soooo many years now (15+) that I've never really had to think about the problem :|

My avatar
osiansmami
Clothie
Clothie

Postby osiansmami » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:11 am

Wow, thanks for these.

I think the dog would have apoplexy if we got a cat :giggle:

What exactly do I do with the coffee grounds? Bury them or scatter them over the surface? Same for citrus?

My parent's neighbour has a sonic thing and I can hear it so I think I'll probably send myself mad and the cats will keep crapping in my garden :giggle:

I am going to go through my bin right now (its fresh in this morning- I'm not that gross) and scoop my grounds out. I've noticed my next door neighbour has bottles of coke in her veggie patch, I thought it was for birds :doh: thats probably why they all use my garden!

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby scarlet » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:14 am

I love cats and still want them to come in the garden especially living in London its good for keeping anyway any unwanted rodents.
We have thought about a pet cat but go away a lot so don't think it would be fair.
So with the coffee, citrus and lavender do you just sprinkle over the soil ?

My avatar
Chooky
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Chooky » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:17 am

Sprinkle it through the garden. It's the strong smell they don't like :wink:

Next

Return to The Veggie Patch