hf1

How much would you pay a gardener?

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

How much would you pay a gardener?

Postby Asta » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:41 am

Not strictly veggies but still garden related!

We have one long bed, about 5 metres long behind our garage that is really over grown, there's some lovely peony roses which just get swamped by weeds. I want to get it all clearer out and then put in some evergreen shrubs that flower at different times of the year.

Unfortunately I don't have the time or the inclination to do the clearing work myself. Does anyone have any idea how much I'd pay a gardener to do it?

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: How much would you pay a gardener?

Postby Shaunie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:03 am

Most I know of work on an hourly rate. My Mum pays between £10 & £12p/h and they take rubbish too. For longer jobs, they would usually have a job / daily rate but not sure what that would be.

ETA - depends if you want someone who knows their stuff too. My Mum once had a guy who was great for digging, cutting things back ect but didn't really know much about plants so would ask Mum before he cut something at times! The other guy really knows his stuff though.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:05 am

We are having a fair bit of work done atm and from all the quotes we have had the daily rate here is £100 per day so i guess it depends how long it would take etc?

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:10 am

I don't think it'd take any longer than a day TBH. maybe I'll have a shot at it tonight and see how hard the ground is, if the torrential rain yesterday has softened it it may not be as difficult as I think!

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:10 am

£100 per day :shock: BIL did gardening for the council and he got minimum wage for it! My friend does work self employed as a gardener and he charges £8 p/h or £60 for a full (8hr) day. Saying that, he doesn't have much in the way of qualifications or mass knowledge of plants, but he does most of the maunal work that garden owners don't want to do themsleves!

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:14 am

I'll have a look in the newsagents window on the way home today, I guess that'd be a good place to find a cheap manual gardener, at £60 a day I'd happily pay someone to do it as I really don't think it'd take longer than that. I can tell them to leave the roses but dig everything else out!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:15 am

gayleygoo wrote:£100 per day :shock: BIL did gardening for the council and he got minimum wage for it! My friend does work self employed as a gardener and he charges £8 p/h or £60 for a full (8hr) day. Saying that, he doesn't have much in the way of qualifications or mass knowledge of plants, but he does most of the maunal work that garden owners don't want to do themsleves!

One guy who did a great job for Mum was not qualified nor did he have a great knowledge of plants but for the type of work she wanted, it was fine.

I think £100 a day is steep but I guess it depends on where you live too. I *think* the guy who charges £10p/h has a daily rate of £70 for the whole day.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:17 am

Shaunie wrote:
gayleygoo wrote:£100 per day :shock: BIL did gardening for the council and he got minimum wage for it! My friend does work self employed as a gardener and he charges £8 p/h or £60 for a full (8hr) day. Saying that, he doesn't have much in the way of qualifications or mass knowledge of plants, but he does most of the maunal work that garden owners don't want to do themsleves!

One guy who did a great job for Mum was not qualified nor did he have a great knowledge of plants but for the type of work she wanted, it was fine.

I think £100 a day is steep but I guess it depends on where you live too. I *think* the guy who charges £10p/h has a daily rate of £70 for the whole day.

I think it depends on the type of work though aswell...we are having levelling/fencing etc done with his more labour intense then digging out a boarder IYKWIM? But the people we have conatcted have all been qualified/great reputation as we have been ripped off badly before and so i wont use a odd job type gardner :-? thats purly my insecuirty though :wink:

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:19 am

I'd expect to pay £70-£100 per day depending on experience and if they were getting rid of the waste as well. We had a hedge taken out and we had to pay the tipping fee but it was still well worth not having it in our car.

Return to The Veggie Patch