Veggies i can grow in pots?

My avatar
mummyclo
Clothie
Clothie

Veggies i can grow in pots?

Postby mummyclo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:37 am

Hiya :wave:
I am moving to somewhere with a garden FINALLY! But its only paved ( can't change it as i rent) and i would like to grow some veg Any ideas as to what i can grow in pots and how? Thanks :thumbsup:

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Veggies i can grow in pots?

Postby Asta » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:44 am

garlic, carrots, any salad leaves. Beatroot might work, courgettes are good! Most things will grown in pots they just won't grow as big. Very exciting!

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby g murphy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:49 am

my dad has grown, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, swede, radish and cabbage all in pots. xx

My avatar
mummyclo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mummyclo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:50 am

Thankyou! I love beetroot and courgettes so i hope they work!

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:53 am

Potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, strawberries. You can grow chilis indoors too.

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Asta » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:57 am

g.murphy wrote:my dad has grown, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, swede, radish and cabbage all in pots. xx

We grow potatos in old car tyres! They're just about ready to dig up now.

My avatar
mummyclo
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mummyclo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:59 am

Ahhhh so excited now! :D Love the chilli idea too!

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:02 am

Almost anything can be grown in pots :wink: for many veggies there are compact varieties, or you can choose trailing or climbing ones. It is not too late to plant courgettes, carrots, peas, swiss chard and other greens like pak choi, perpetual spinach, lettuce and kale, if you get them in quickly. It's a bit late for tomatoes unless you can buy some plants that are already up a bit. Tiny Tim tomatoes are a teeny plant that can grow on the windowsill and they might do OK now. You may be able to sow a few spuds in a large pot (or a supermarket bag for life will do) and have fresh new potatoes for Christmas! Herbs of course grow well in pots. Pea shoots are good as a salad leaf, just cram lots of dried peas or pea seeds into a pot of soil, cover with a half inch or so of soil and cut when they are a couple of inches high.

For winter sowings you can also do cauliflowers (I've got purple and green ones growing), purple sprouting broccoli, cabbages, brussels sprouts and maybe some winter squash if it's not too late for those. I'm in the same position as you are, just put your pots in the sunniest place you can, don't cram them all in, fewer plants with plenty of space in big pots will do far better than tons of plants squished in (learned from experience that one :roll: ) and plant some pretty things to encourage natural predators and pollinators :D

Return to The Veggie Patch