hf1

Toilet and limescale, help me please

My avatar
Bee's Knees
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Toilet and limescale, help me please

Postby Bee's Knees » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:04 am

My toilet is disgusting because the limescale collects at the bottom. I scrub and scrub but never get it all gone. Those in London areas, what are you doing? This seems so banal, but it's gross when people come over!

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Toilet and limescale, help me please

Postby 4timeslucky » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:11 am

Sorry no help but I'm going to watch this thread with interest as we have the same problem here in Southampton with very hard water, so loads of limescale that builds up very quickly.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:13 am

I dont have this issue as we live in a soft water area but the first thing that sprang to mind is one of those limescale tablets left in the bottom to help break it up? Would that work??

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:17 am

I'm Southampton and I just scrub with a limescale toilet cleaner everyday if we do get a build up (I'm I'll and DH doesn't bother) I pop a couple of Milton tablets down to bleach it till I go to the shops and I buy a bottle of coke to pour down and leave over night.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:20 am

I'm on the Isle of Wight and we have really hard water here too, we use Harpic Limescale Removal toilet cleaner, it's the only thing I've found that works. Bleach can take some of the stains out of the limescale, but doesn't actually get rid of the limescale, this stuff does.

My avatar
moonsunstars2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby moonsunstars2 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:38 am

Miss_Purple wrote:I'm on the Isle of Wight and we have really hard water here too, we use Harpic Limescale Removal toilet cleaner, it's the only thing I've found that works. Bleach can take some of the stains out of the limescale, but doesn't actually get rid of the limescale, this stuff does.

Best thing I've found is Harpic - We have very hard water here in this part of kent. I pour down Harpic - leave it as long as possible (normally overnight) then get stuck in with a scourer (the green washing up kind are the best I find). Then once it's all removed, regurlarly leave a toilet cleaner like harpic in to keep it at a minimum....

My avatar
Bee's Knees
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Bee's Knees » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:45 am

I totally use the Harpic, but it only works if I bale the toilet water out, leave it over night and then someone inevitiable wees before morning. :doh:

I guess this is just a daily battle?

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:53 am

Have you tried pouring a 2litre bottle of coke/pepsi down and then leaving for a few hours/overnight?

My avatar
Bee's Knees
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Bee's Knees » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:12 pm

I haven't. Would i have to bale the water out first?

Next

Return to Domestic Goddess