Toilet and limescale, help me please

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Toilet and limescale, help me please

Postby Miss_Purple » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:20 pm

monsterm wrote:
Miss_Purple wrote:Does he know how to get rid of shower mould and stop it coming back? We have tried all the supermarket stuff but still have probs and end up having to re-silicone the shower about once a year which is a huge pain in the bum.

Danika, is it the silicone that is getting mouldy?

@monsterm yes it is, black spots on it. we have a cleaner who comes in once a week so it's not like it never gets cleaned.

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:55 pm

Just out of interest does neat hydrochloric acid not work? I am pretty sure I used to put this on wounds when I was young and stupid. It turned the skin white and stung like a ... but it cleaned it lovely! I thought you could get this in phamacys etc.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:01 pm

Miss_Purple wrote:
monsterm wrote:
Miss_Purple wrote:Does he know how to get rid of shower mould and stop it coming back? We have tried all the supermarket stuff but still have probs and end up having to re-silicone the shower about once a year which is a huge pain in the bum.

Danika, is it the silicone that is getting mouldy?

@monsterm yes it is, black spots on it. we have a cleaner who comes in once a week so it's not like it never gets cleaned.

@Miss_Purple Sorry forgot to post his reply. He said you need to take out all the silicone, bleach the whole bathroom and then re-silicone.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Yes, we did that last time, but it still came back :-( is there anything you can paint on the silicone that stops it growing in the first place?

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:42 pm

A friend of mine, who works in a plumbing shop, was telling me about the hydrochloric acid stuff, and where he works they are reluctant to supply it to the public because it is so dangerous, particularly if they are not convinced it will be used with the proper safety equipment , or stored/disposed of properly. Maybe not something you'd leave under the kitchen sink!

I have the same bog problem though, Harpic limescale remover seems to have worked the best, but it usually needs a couple of doses, although I have never tried baling out the water, I may do that next time!

@monsterm , lucky you having a contract cleaner as a hubby, I'm not sure my DH would know which way round the toilet brush goes :lol:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:04 pm

gayleygoo wrote:@monsterm , lucky you having a contract cleaner as a hubby, I'm not sure my DH would know which way round the toilet brush goes :lol:

he doesn't clean our toilets. he is a typical man & the toilet would have to get up, walk into him & tell him it's a serious health hazard before he'd even think about cleaning it :hohoho:

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:06 pm

@miss_purple it doesn't stop it but will slow it down use a spray bottle and baby sterilising fluid and give it a spray a could of times a week a friend you use to work for a hotel said that is what they do.

My avatar
Peaches2472
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Peaches2472 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:18 am

Just been reading through all the posts and was wondering if anyone had tried the coke and how well it worked. Oldest son won't flush the toilet and this has cause the bottom of the toilet to yellow so was hoping the coke would work for this too.

Please do not try and get neat hydrochloric acid if you spill this on you it will burn and very quickly, also if you mix it with other chemical by mistake there is the potential to give off chlorine gas. (I worked in a chemistry research lab for 20 year and would only ever use this in a fumecupboard with gloves, glasses and lab coats). A dilute solution is safer.

My avatar
4timeslucky
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby 4timeslucky » Tue May 08, 2012 1:49 pm

Found tesco active gel 100% limescale remover works really well, without too much effort :thumbsup: . I' ve stocked up as I mostly shop at asda or sainsburys.

Previous

Return to Domestic Goddess