hf1

New paint smell :(

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

New paint smell :(

Postby LynniferT » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:50 pm

I have just finished painting one of the kids bedrooms (ceiling and walls) and the smell is really overpowering...no way I can stick DS1/DD back in there for at least a couple of days :waiting:

Whats the best way to get rid of the smell of new paint? I have tried lighting candles as I read they burn off the fumes but its not working...have had windows open since i started painting (friday :roll: ) and it still smells :(

Any other tried and tested methods???

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: New paint smell :(

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:21 pm

Just a matter of time I am afraid, keeps the windows open as well, it will fade in a few days. Paints now say whether they are low odor or not these days. Know how you feel, DH has just painted our lounge and we have paint whiff as well x

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Chopped onions I believe. Absorbs the smell x

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby LynniferT » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:26 pm

Will keep the window open tonight then and have a go at the chopped onions tomorrow :D

Going to blow out candles now as they are all fragranced ones and the combined smell that is wafting down the stairs is making me feel more sick then the paint smell...yuck!

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:49 pm

We've been doing some painting as well and it can be so over powering. I've been airing thr house alot but other then that not alot else.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:33 pm

No idea I'm afraid other than keeping the windows open. I think I must be odd though as I love the smell of a freshly painted room :lookround: :oops:

My avatar
cath
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby cath » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:52 am

i've heard the onions thing too, apparantly they do absorb the smell. I've never tried it though so don't know if it actually works!

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby LynniferT » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:24 am

Right...the window is open and the biggest onion I could find is chopped and in a bowl, we'll see how it goes :thumbsup:

I don't normally have a problem with the paint smell but I've started painting everything in durable paint (so it lasts longer with the kids battering the walls :roll:) its great stuff but it really is potent :puke:

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:49 pm

Louise wrote:No idea I'm afraid other than keeping the windows open. I think I must be odd though as I love the smell of a freshly painted room :lookround: :oops:

Me too, one of the best smells! (next to plaster) tho its hard i guess if LOs have to sleep in there and its overpowering.

When we renovated we moved S into our bedroom for a week or so as it was plastered then painted. Windows open all day kinda thing.

Next

Return to Domestic Goddess