hf1

Can I wash foam cushions?

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Can I wash foam cushions?

Postby Twinkletoes » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:28 am

My nursing chair doesn't have removable covers, I have spot cleaned it, but wondering if it'd come up fresher if I removed all the cushions and put them through the machine? They're stuffed with the usual upholstery foam.

Or is this the act of a crazed nesting woman and I should just get over myself?

Maybe I could hand wash in the bath?

We rented a rug doctor recently but dh forgot to get the upholstery tools with it as planned, grrr!

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Can I wash foam cushions?

Postby Dora » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:29 pm

I wouldnt. I think it would disintegrate and also cant see it drying properly...x

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:32 pm

I'd do it in the shower on hottest setting then get as much moisture out before sticking it in the sun. 24-48hrs until something left drying could get mould building though. We did this to freshen up the cotbed mattress which is foam and it worked a treat :)

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:32 pm

I did it in the bath! Showered it loads afterwards to rinse the detergent out, and the cushions are now lying in the sun on a flat clothes airer. Hopefully it'll be hot again tomorrow! Although the foam soaked up loads of water, it drains out really fast.

I can't stop cleaning things! Don't remember nesting being this bad last time.

Now, what can I wash next...?! :lookround:

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Lol im like that. Just done 1/2 of my duvet (it's a 2 in 1 snap together thing) and I did the cotbed mattress last week. Ive caught up on my never ending washing pile and I'm planning on washing all the babys things this coming week and all our pillows. The other 1/2 of my duvet will need doing, then I'll do the kids duvets lol I'm already itching to wash the dog as he is smelly, urgh!

I did my windows the other week, I never wash windows on the inside lol

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby shoogah01 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:25 pm

I would cut the covers off and add snaps personally but then I want to re cover the cushions on ours :giggle:

My avatar
Twinkletoes
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Twinkletoes » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:06 pm

Michelle, I'm wishing I'd done just that! The stupid thing is wetter than I'd realised, I just had to turn garden bench into a mangle to squeeze some water out, then set it up drying next to a hot radiator (I'm melting) on an airer set up on the shower curtain, which is the only thing I could think of to save the floor!

Fingers crossed for a scorcher tomorrow!

Still, it IS lovely and clean now!

I also want to recover it, and don't think it'd be too tricky, but i've left it a bit late!

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:47 pm

I reckon youre going to have to sit on it to get the water out...!

Return to Domestic Goddess