hf1

There's a mouse in the house!

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

There's a mouse in the house!

Postby JabberJabber » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:09 pm

So, I was happily sitting with a sleepy Isaac this afternoon, thinking random thoughts and I said to him 'look, there's a mouse under the chair' I then realised what I'd actually said!

It's only a tiny one, but we obviously don't want mice in the house.

What do we need to do?

It's a house that needs work on it, by the way, and there are cracks in the skirting boards and under the stairs that the wee sleekit timerous beastie could be coming through. Blocking them all up would take a fair amount of time and effort!

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: There's a mouse in the house!

Postby Caroline » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:15 pm

Eeeek

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:23 pm

:panic: I'm not great with mice and we had lots in France, especially this time of year! You can bait them, trap them or humane trap them. I didn't like any of those options so we got a cat lol!

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:50 pm

We had them earlier this year and Dave brought humane traps home. I did not empty them, but they were so easy to do. Bird seed inside and in the morning, hey presto mice. Field mice are pretty cute and Oscar loved seeing them every morning. We took over 14 mice from the house :giggle:

My avatar
Jellybelly6
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Jellybelly6 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:56 pm

We went for the humane trap thingy (chocolate stuck into peanut butter in it to tempt them). You have to take said mouse quite some distance to release it or it comes straight back in!

We only got them in when our neigbour dismantled their shed and dislodged them from their home. I never got round to sealing the hole where they came in but have had no repeat of mousy visitors (my son was convinced we had squirrles!) I am now a bit hyper about food storage and cleaning up any food on work tips, floors etc :hohoho:

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:13 pm

Jellybelly6 wrote:We went for the humane trap thingy (chocolate stuck into peanut butter in it to tempt them). You have to take said mouse quite some distance to release it or it comes straight back in!

:

How far do you think 'some distance' is? We kept joking with dh that he was not taking them far enough away and there was a point he was going to take them to work in the car, 30 miles away :hohoho:

My avatar
Jellybelly6
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Jellybelly6 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:26 pm

:hohoho: I think that should do it! We took them to the far away end of our local park (about a mile) after my DH decided the other end of the street would be far enough and we watched the little bu** er run straight back down the road and into our house! A waste of a good bit of chocolate that was :hohoho:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:36 am

To be honest the traps,poisons etc don't work. If u release a humanely caught mouse miles away it won't survive and they breed so quickly that another will take it's place pretty quickly . U need to try and stop them getting in and get rid of food sources . So all cereals etc in jars or plastic boxed, block up holes etc to stop them long term
http://www.helpwildlife.co.uk/pestrodents.php

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:55 am

lazylexis wrote:To be honest the traps,poisons etc don't work. If u release a humanely caught mouse miles away it won't survive and they breed so quickly that another will take it's place pretty quickly . U need to try and stop them getting in and get rid of food sources . So all cereals etc in jars or plastic boxed, block up holes etc to stop them long term
http://www.helpwildlife.co.uk/pestrodents.php

Blocking holes from our cottage would be impossible :giggle: Our mice have not come back since we did it for the week, and maybe they did not have as much chance being released in to the wild, but I would much rather give them a chance than squash them or poison them. To be honest I don't actually mind field mice, its part of living in the country and makes a change from Woozle bringing them in dead :giggle:

Next

Return to Domestic Goddess