hf1

Heated Airers v Tumble Dryer

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Heated Airers v Tumble Dryer

Postby Sally » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:01 pm

I don't have a tumble or heated airer I did ponder a heated airer but thought it would add to much to the electric bill :-(.
I put everything to dry in my conservatory and open the windows when it's just slightly damp I air near the radiators stuff is taking 24 hours to dry if I didn't have this extra space I'd definitely get a heated airer.
I wouldn't use a drier I think it ages clothes and nappies too quickly which really puts me off one.

My avatar
emmab16
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby emmab16 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:04 pm

eviesmummy wrote:I don't mind paying the £90 as if it was going to last a fair few years, but I don't want to waste it either if its going to work out the same price as using the tumble dryer - at 5p an hour, 10 hours overnight, that would add £15 a month to my already shocking electric bill :? Hmmmmm, undecided :?

Ouch that is a lot of electric, if i had the money & the space i would definitely invest in the airer so many people rave about them. I would be a little worried about putting my nappies on them though ?

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:10 pm

I bought a heated airer after a long thread on my FB wall about them. For me the reason was that we had nowhere to put a tumble dryer, and we were drowning in washing. Since buying it I can keep on top of the washing much better, though I try not to use it unless I am in a hurry to dry stuff. No idea if it makes much difference to the electric bill, but it is a necessity in a house with two young children imo. I dry my nappies on there and haven't noticed a problem yet.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:37 pm

The bigger one from Lakeland says it costs less than 5p an hour to run & they do a smaller one as well which apparently costs less than 3p per hour

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:37 pm

lazylexis wrote:We have both & rarely use the airer as it's easier to tumble it. Should use the airer more really.

We now have both. I got tired of having a cluttered damp kitchen with the airer, so bought a condensor dryer. It's energy b rated and costs next to nothing to run (I've been keeping an eye on the electricity meter :giggle: )
I can't believe I went so long without one and spent so much time putting washing on airers! x

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:10 pm

I've been tempted in the past. I use radiator rails in every room upstairs, and down if I need to but put nappies in the drier because I need them quicker!

Where do you keep them though? I thought about the spare room as I don't want it anywhere else :-?

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:46 pm

I would just bung another load or so in the tumble drier. Arranging stuff on airers is really tedious.

My avatar
emsy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby emsy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:22 am

Since we got the tumble dryer we've noticed a massive difference on our electric bill :( but needs must with the kids especially with Tom and Jakeys nappies
I've really been considering the heated airer instead of using the dryer in the hope of It being a cheaper option :)

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:05 am

We've got a washer dryer and just hang delicates.

I like the idea of a heated airer but surely it can't be good to release litres of water into a bedroom every day - doesn't it cause damp?

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Goddess