hf1

Help with dry clean only jacket

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Help with dry clean only jacket

Postby northernruth » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:01 am

Help I have a white cotton pique jacket from Reiss (so was expensive!) that has gone a bit grey at the dry cleaners. Not enough so I could take it back and complain, you could argue it just looks a bit grubby, but I can tell it's not the same colour that it should be.

What can I do to brighten it? If I somehow hang it on the line to sun bleach does it need to be wet for that to work? Could I surface wash it and then hang out? The fabric would survive washing but I'm not sure the interlining/ shoulder pads etc would

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: Help with dry clean only jacket

Postby JabberJabber » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:39 am

Sun bleaching works better on damp materials IMO, but I find it does still work on dry.

If you can dampen or surface wash it and then hang out (on a clothes hanger) you might get results.

I suppose you also have to ask what you would lose. If it's grey enough that you would choose not to wear it, then trying to whiten it is no problem if you go for the least risky action first. Have you asked the dry cleaners for any advice?

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:12 pm

JabberJabber wrote:Sun bleaching works better on damp materials IMO, but I find it does still work on dry.

If you can dampen or surface wash it and then hang out (on a clothes hanger) you might get results.

I suppose you also have to ask what you would lose. If it's grey enough that you would choose not to wear it, then trying to whiten it is no problem if you go for the least risky action first. Have you asked the dry cleaners for any advice?

No - I don't really want to get into an argument about the colour of it with them to be honest. But I think I@ll try the surface washing approach - guess I should have had a go this weekend while the sun was out!

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:17 am

You could use a spray bottle to dampen the surface for sun bleaching. My mum always swore by foam carpet cleaner too. I had a ball gown that was a bit grubby round the hem it got that clean and didn't wreck it.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:25 am

aimeet wrote:You could use a spray bottle to dampen the surface for sun bleaching. My mum always swore by foam carpet cleaner too. I had a ball gown that was a bit grubby round the hem it got that clean and didn't wreck it.

Oh I may have some foam carpet cleaner. It's got a coffee stain on the lapel that wasn't there when I took it in (I know dr cleaning can bring some stains out so I'm not complaining about that) so I'll see if I can work some magic on that. I need the sun to come back out!

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Good luck x

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:58 am

How did you go @northernruth did you get it white in the end?

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:56 am

I washed it (gingerly!) last night. Put it to soak in a shallow bath with some stain remover and biological washing liquid. Rinsed it gently using the shower attachment and left it to drip dry over the bath all night. Was still wet this morning so pegged out from the underarms on the line in the hope the sun will bleach it a bit. It already looks a bit better. Mentioned it to my cleaner this morning (who is a real clotheshorse) and she said she'd have flung it in the washing machine!!!!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:24 am

@northernruth I was so skint in France that I couldn't afford to use the drycleaners so I've always gently machine washed my coats etc. The important thing is to put big safety pins through the shoulder pads so that they don't get all crunched up! I've so far not killed anything yet :giggle: :giggle: :lookround:

Return to Domestic Goddess