hf1

Which cleaning products do you use?

My avatar
chezzahoops
Clothie
Clothie

Which cleaning products do you use?

Postby chezzahoops » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:34 am

:hug: What cleaning products do people tend to use or are ok with using in their home? I think I'm really quite cautious with household cleaning products. Because I generally have vinegar and soda crystals in the house I'll tend to use those and maybe flash, washing up liquid or DH likes dettol spray and we'll use a spot of bleach on the sink or toilet as needed. DH tends to bleach the floors as I can't stand the smell even dilute over a large area and don't want cleaning products about and in the air when LO is running around.

Reason I ask is MIL loves cleaning, it's a big part of her routine tbh so she went over our kitchen and bathroom when she was here. Wanted to put a chemical rinse block in the toilet, which we've always avoided as I know Ella would go straight for that in the past. She had to get some 'proper' cleaners in that smelt really chemically and I was opening windows and closing doors as there was no ventilation and it smelt really strong. I think she associates the chemical smell with cleanliness. As I'm pregnant I'm naturally inclined to avoid strong smells like that and I think she's just not aware of all the chemicals in products and packaging. We keep all cleaning products on a basin on top of our tall fridge well out of reach and MIL left them right by the kitchen sink (she isn't very tall to be fair so that's probably why). Even dettol spray I find pretty strong stuff. I don't understand the chemistry behind how they work, but don't really see how such strong smelling chemical cleaners are necessary. I totally appreciate her help though as we have to clean up before our lease ends. I'll probably chuck out what she's bought as won't want to use it myself near Ella or me. Maybe I'm oversensitive to it because my sense of smell and queasiness is still on overdrive.

I'm just curious, not having a go if you don't use any or don't clean a lot. :giggle: You'd be hard pressed to be messier than us at times, so glass houses. MIL sees leftover paint on Ella's table as dirty yuck, whereas I see it is dried paint marks. :lookround: It's just odd that MIL (and other relatives) gets so much satisfaction from cleaning, whereas I see it as a boring necessity / chore so don't get any form of satisfaction from it really, beyond a little relief. And well, if I come across as messy and dirty well I don't really mind, though on a scale of 1 to 10 I'm probably about or above average, not a complete manky so and so. :hohoho: If things are too tidy I get uncomfortable tbh, I like a bit of (my) clutter. There's the point as well about desensitisation to germs and bugs too and just generally all the chemicals we absorb as part of everyday life I try to minimise really.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Cleaning products

Postby littlesez » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:54 pm

I hear you.! I got rid of all bleach products when I had Izzy, who is 4 we have recently started making own washing powder and dishwasher powder. Next I am looking into beeswax polish and something for a kitchen cleaner.

I
Life is too short for cleaning, I just do bare minimum which is washing and dishwasher, Iceland kitchen every day too or we get flies, and Hoover lounge as Leon uses the floor to play on

I use bicarb to freshen and clean. It's your house and upto you how you keep it clean. Xx

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:57 pm

I have issues with my mum about her thoughts on my house and cleaning. She always says that i'm not exactly a domestic goddess and when I point out that perhaps my partner is also responsible for doing some of it and that's why certain things have been left, she just looks at me ,totally not comprehending! Totally sexist. With you on strong chemicals-i think they smell that way to con you into thinking theyre effective. Natural alternatives dont smell anything like that and they work just as well :)

My avatar
mrspumpkin
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mrspumpkin » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:14 pm

Flash in the kitchen. Ecover in the bathroom. Ariel for laundry. Finish for the dishwasher. Plus a few random things that our tenants left behind

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:56 pm

Ive been thinking more about this. I use natural skin care abd cloth nappies, fresh and organic where I can why not think about what we breath in too!

Return to Domestic Goddess