40.5 Party planning help!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

40.5 Party planning help!

Postby clothmama » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:12 pm

So I kind of accidentally am having a 40.5 party in a month :oops: :giggle: :dancing: :party: (it was mentioned as a vague idea and mum booked her ticket from Australia so now it is on LOL). I haven't had the time or energy to even think about it so I'm not feeling a bit :panic: about organising food / tables / decorations etc for what could be 50 people (although a lot from here may be on holidays!) in only 4.5 weeks!

Any ideas on great / easy / can make in advance preferably food for that many people that will look and taste fantastic?
We will be in the garden so want to make it look as pretty as possible so decorating ideas too? :party: :party:

TIA :)

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Party planning help!

Postby autumnalgirl » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:42 pm

Candle lanterns, balloons and bunting in the garden.

Food . . . trickier . . . big vats of curry? That could be frozen in advance.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Party planning help!

Postby clothmama » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:49 pm

I know some of my French friends love my curry but the new friends from here that we dont' know that well yet I'm not so sure how it would go down (already thought about it!). One idea when thinking about it to get around that issue was the choice of curry / chilli / bolognase and rice or pasta kind of thing but then I thought that is soooo borning nad what I eat week in week out :giggle: so want something nice!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: 40.5 Party planning help!

Postby clothmama » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:26 pm

I love the idea of lots of jars with wire around hanging in the trees with candles and pom poms in hot pink and white and as many fairy lights as I can get my hands on!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:28 pm

Oh I bought masses of vintage hankies the other week and I've actually got some vintage paper lanterns I bought ages ago when I saw them so maybe I need a vintage theme!

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:38 am

Why not buffet? Ask everyone to bring a sharing plate (in lieu of gifts?)

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:58 am

My answer to summer mass catering is always bbq! Big lots of salad, coleslaw, potato salad, garlic bread/rolls. I would do sausages, chops, veg kebabs.

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:59 am

Oh another idea pulled pork done in the slow cooker

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:40 am

emmavmorgan wrote:My answer to summer mass catering is always bbq! Big lots of salad, coleslaw, potato salad, garlic bread/rolls. I would do sausages, chops, veg kebabs.

My original idea was to get a suckling pig or something and have it on a rotisserie all day with as you say all the salad etc (mind you the french don't like to eat anything with lettuce in it with their meal, they have it after and they look at you a bit funny :giggle: ) but yes that is what I usuallay do too. I think I've left it too late to organise a rotisserie but dont' really want J having to slave over the BBQ all evening as that is a lot of food for 50!

emmavmorgan wrote:Oh another idea pulled pork done in the slow cooker

This could be a great alternative :thumbsup: Just need to get a slow cooker (mine is in Oz :doh: )

Next

Return to Domestic Goddess