hf1

Stinky Washing Machine

My avatar
moonsunstars2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Stinky Washing Machine

Postby moonsunstars2 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:49 pm

ok, our washing machine pongs of old rotten cabbage :oops: :giggle: , due to washing and not taking out straight away, on more than one occasion! ( I blame df, he's always putting a wash in and forgetting about it - or assumes I have psychic powers to know when there's one in there that he's done :x !)

Is there a soution I can put in to help remove the smell? I'm sure there's something you can do with vinegar but can't remember. I regularly do a 95 degree wash with the machine empty to give it a clean through, but this smell always lingers.

Any help/advice anyone? Please help my machine smell good again :D

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Stinky Washing Machine

Postby Caroline » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:51 pm

The only thing that cleans my machine properly is Dr Beckmann washing machine cleaner (Sainsburys). Vinegar, hot washes etc just dont do it for us and leave streaks on the clothes and a stink in the machine.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:19 pm

Have you tried bicarb in the hot wash? its a natural deoderiser.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:21 pm

What detergant do you was your clothes with? Liquid is really bad for machines and cause build up in the pipes etc.
Try using soda crystals for you next maintenance wash and if you are leaving wet washing in open the door x

My avatar
moonsunstars2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby moonsunstars2 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:47 am

Thanks for the advice everybody, I've got both bicarb (I think) & Soda crystals in my cupboard so will give them a try. If they don't work I'll look for the Dr Beckman.

Kirsty - I normally use Fairy Non Bio - use to use the powder, then used the liquid for a bit, atm I'm using the gel that goes straight in the drum rather than the drawer. I thought the liquid might e easier to rinse out of clothes and less likely to leave a residue on the clothes (Ben suffers with ezcema & it's one of the many things I try in case it helps). I normally (but not always) do an extra rinse after I've dine the normal wash to make sure it mostly gone.

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:00 am

the gel leaves a scummy build up too. Also is the washing machine out pipe linked to your kitchen sink drain pipe in any way? We were getting back flow from our sink into the washing machine and it was rank. I would try a 95 wash with some bio or even dettol to clean the machine. Give the door seal a wipe over too.

My avatar
moonsunstars2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby moonsunstars2 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:03 am

JenKyleKaitlinRoo wrote:Also is the washing machine out pipe linked to your kitchen sink drain pipe in any way?

ah, I think it is, That could explain it too.... Our drain sometimes pongs and we regualarly clear it of leaves muck etc adn use a drain buster down it to keep it fresh....

I just looked in my cupboard and no soda crystals..... Just trying the hotest wash with bicarb in FC it works

Return to Domestic Goddess