hf1

Getting Melted Plastic off Electric Hob?

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Getting Melted Plastic off Electric Hob?

Postby doobykat » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:01 pm

Ok, so some days I just don't deserve a domestic goddess badge and Monday night was one of them...
I completely forgot that one of the plates was hot while opening a pack of fresh pasta and managed to melt a big corner of the packet onto the plate :-?
DH suggested sticking a piece of kitchen roll under a pan of water and turning the plate on (a bit like getting candle wax off carpet with an iron and kitchen roll) but all i managed to do was set fire to the kitchen roll!! :shock: :giggle:

So any advice or suggestions, that doesn't involve burning the kitchen down?! :oops:

Dooby x

(edited because I can't spell "off" :oops: :oops: )
Last edited by doobykat on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Getting Melted Plastic of Electric Hob?

Postby ems » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:05 pm

I'm sorry.. all that came into my head just then was the thought of the plastic being degradable LOL It will disintegrate ina few weeks.. like the bl00dy degradable tesco bags I took out of the plastic bag holder this morning.. I ended up with little pieces of white carrier bag all over myself and the floor LOL

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:05 pm

What sort of hob is it? Could you use one of those hob scrapers on it? I have a (flat) ceramic hob and they are great and dont scratch.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:08 pm

i've done that before and don't have a hob scraper... ended up just using a blunt butter knife very gently. i can't remember how easy/hard it was, but i do remember once most of it was off i used a microfibre cloth and some vinegar to finish it off.

My avatar
sweetiepups
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby sweetiepups » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:41 pm

Caroline wrote:What sort of hob is it? Could you use one of those hob scrapers on it? I have a (flat) ceramic hob and they are great and dont scratch.

They are great :wine:

My avatar
Dark Star Designs
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Dark Star Designs » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:19 pm

Put the hob on to warm up and melt the plastic again and wipe off with microfibre or use a scraper?

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:27 pm

ems wrote:It will disintegrate ina few weeks.. like the bl00dy degradable tesco bags I took out of the plastic bag holder this morning.. I ended up with little pieces of white carrier bag all over myself and the floor LOL

What is it with Tesco carrier bags?! I know bio-degradable bags are much better for the environment, but honestly, you can barely get your shopping home before the bag has snow-flaked all over the floor... :gaah:

My avatar
doobykat
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby doobykat » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:30 pm

Caroline wrote:What sort of hob is it? Could you use one of those hob scrapers on it? I have a (flat) ceramic hob and they are great and dont scratch.

That looks fab! :thumbsup:
Yes, it's a ceramic hob, so this would be perfect. Was about to ask where you found it, but have seen that the pic link in Amazon related, so will head over there to take a look :D

Dooby x

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Getting Melted Plastic off Electric Hob?

Postby Caroline » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:21 am

My local Sainsburys sells them :wink:

Return to Domestic Goddess