Reusable/disposable kitchen towels

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Reusable/disposable kitchen towels

Postby tiyuricc » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:16 am

what do you use them for?

i want some washable but then i thought about the last time i used a paper towel and it was about 6 months ago to wipe a particularly mucky mushroom down. mostly i just brush them down with my fingers.

so it got me wondering what on earth i should be using them for but don't :oops: [am merely visiting the domestic goddess board briefly as an imposter i have much training to do before becoming a fully fledged member] the best thing i can think of is mopping up spills but i tend to grab whicheaver tea towel is in current use, mop up and put it in the wash. so i don't need a dedicated product for that purpse.

so tell me, what do you use kitchen paper towels (or their cloth equivalents) for?

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Reusable/disposable kitchen towels

Postby justme123 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:30 am

DH uses them, and complains when we don't have any, but I'm not really sure what for... I think he uses them mostly for wiping surpaces and mopping up spills, for which I would use either the dishcloth (washable) or tea towel (washable). Occaisionally if we're having a really mucky dinner (eg fish & chips) then I will give them to the kids to use as napkins but washable wipes or napkins would be just as good for that too.

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:32 am

I like to use them to oil kitchn equipment- think cake tins and woks as pastry brushes are just a pita and shed hair all over everything. They also come i handy for picking up cat sick etc- yuk I know. Having said that we haven't had any for a few months either. :giggle:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:33 am

The only thing I use paper towels for is to wipe down the rare oil filled pan/tray - after cooking falafel or roast potatoes. I drain the oil off and then wipe out with a paper towel, I tend not to wash them after these things. Otherwise I tend to do what you do and grab a tea towel or a cleaning cloth to wipe up with. We have cloths to wipe down the dining table with. We have them for flannels/napkins for the boys at the table too.

My avatar
helenNt
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby helenNt » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:34 am

Just used some disposables for cleaning up a battery acid leak. Some jobs are just in need of disposable towels.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:34 am

aimeet wrote:I like to use them to oil kitchn equipment- think cake tins and woks as pastry brushes are just a pita and shed hair all over everything. They also come i handy for picking up cat sick etc- yuk I know. Having said that we haven't had any for a few months either. :giggle:

We have a silicon pastry brush, doesn't lose anything and goes in the dishwasher. I think I found it in TKMaxx.

My avatar
helenNt
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby helenNt » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:37 am

ladybird wrote:
aimeet wrote:I like to use them to oil kitchn equipment- think cake tins and woks as pastry brushes are just a pita and shed hair all over everything. They also come i handy for picking up cat sick etc- yuk I know. Having said that we haven't had any for a few months either. :giggle:

We have a silicon pastry brush, doesn't lose anything and goes in the dishwasher. I think I found it in TKMaxx.

I think the next issue of that new baking magazine is supposed to have a silicon pastry brush and spatula in the next issue.

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:40 am

helenNt wrote:
ladybird wrote:

I think the next issue of that new baking magazine is supposed to have a silicon pastry brush and spatula in the next issue.

I tried one but didn't get on with it, I just use my fingers though.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:11 am

my cleaners like using paper towels for cleaning windows, they say it is much better than cloth, so i buy them for that. But otherwise i have a drawer of cheap facecloths which are used for mopping up, wiping down, cleaning hands and faces. We go through at least 1 or 2 a day sometimes more but i just bung them in the washer and they get washed with the next load.

Next

Return to Domestic Goddess