hf1

Window frosting

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Window frosting

Postby scarlet » Mon May 30, 2011 5:12 pm

We have 3 medium sized windows in the utility room that we would like to frost.
DP says we should get the spray stuff as its cheap but iv heard that its hard to get perfect and scratches off.
Iv done a tiny bit of research and read that brume is good and I love this design http://www.brume.co.uk/product/173/c029 ... ll-designs
Any other recommendations for me? Cheaper the better , but would rather pay more money for a good job IYSWIM.
Thanks ladies! :thumbsup:

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Window frosting

Postby zoeyboo » Mon May 30, 2011 5:46 pm

Not tried a film but we used the spray stuff on our garage windows, it was rubbish tbh, I'd have been gutted if it was in our house. I'd spend more & go for the film if I were you.

Love the stars!

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Mon May 30, 2011 7:07 pm

The film is definitely better and worth the money according to dh who has fitted similar to many shop windows in his time!

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Mon May 30, 2011 7:10 pm

We've used the film, but not sure if it's the same as you've linked to. We bought custom designed decal's from Etsy a few times. We have a film up on our shower screen, with cut-out bubbles that start off dense lower down and thin out as they rise, and a full film higher up where it's needed.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Mon May 30, 2011 9:31 pm

when we moved into this house, our downstairs loo had a film across the windows. i thought they had put some contact paper (school book cover stuff) on the windows as they always seemed to do everything on the cheap. looking at your link though, i'm wondering if it was that stuff. I expected it to fall of in no time (south facing window getting tons of sun), but we've been here 5 years now, and the film istill as good as when we moved in. my only problem with it was that it wasn't quite cut straight so there was a little bit on one side that was normal glass as it didn't quite meet the edge and that bothered me, but i'm a bit of a stickler about things like that. and once i notice it, it bugs me forever.

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Love the stars! I used some from Ikea on the bathroom windw, just plain frosted film- cheap and relatively easy but I was in a rush and it wasn't cut straight. Plust the old neighbour threw a tennis ball at the bottom frame and smashed the window- on the bright side it stopped the glass shattering all over the floor :D

Return to Domestic Goddess