hf1

What chores does your DP do?

My avatar
scarlet
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: What chores does your DP do?

Postby scarlet » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:20 pm

northernruth wrote:You see I wouldn't stand for that at all - there would be one almighty unholy row and he would be frogmarched out to do said bunnies!

Is he ok? Inability to keep on top of chores can be a sign of depression - or maybe he's just a lazy f***er

I agree!

ETA But must admit I am guilty of being lazy. :giggle:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:22 pm

Im pretty lucky really...my hubby does his fair share! He does alot of the cooking, he helps with the cleaning, does all the garden stuff, we shop online each week but he often does a top up shop etc in the week for us, he manages and pays all the bills and our bank accounts etc....

Our three smalls are more than a full time just on their own atm...I think i would have gone crazy if i had to do EVERYTHING by myself...there is only one of me and alot of people that need looking after...

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:32 pm

my DH does virtually nothing around the house - he cooks dinner and washes up probably 80% of the time, empties the bins and does DDs bath every other day, but that is it. He runs his own business and works 6 days a week plus evenings sometimes too, so we fell into that routine before DD was born, and unfortunately very little has changed since (except now he cooks more than he used to).

I do everything else - gardening, looking after DD, work full-time, all laundry, ironing etc, finances (renewing insurance, booking holidays etc).

When I went back to work full-time I insisted on a cleaner, and I made DH pay for it - we are both very house proud and have very high standards of how we like the house to look, and it was getting us both down so it was worth every penny.

I am training him VERY slowly - just little things like I stopped picking up his dirty clothes on his side of the bed - if he wants to leave them there that's his choice - it used to annoy me, but he does pick them up more quickly now - I think he finally realised that if he wanted clean clothes they had to be in the washing basket. I have also tried to delegate more 'boy stuff' to him - he cuts up wood for the fire, and the cars are his responsibility (air in the tyres, water in the screen wash etc).

If I was a SAHM then I would expect to do all the housework and DH would expect his dinner on the table every evening - that's one of the reasons I went back to work - it's easier :giggle:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:39 pm

ok I will rent Craig out on a weekly basis so long as I can have him back for weekends and he is allowed some paternity leave :giggle:

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:51 pm

CherryPie wrote::shock: Omg you're so lucky. I've tried talking to DH but he just complains that he's always too tired. It's really beginning to get me down. Maybe I'm just extra emotional because of :pregnant: . I would just like a little bit of help rather than constantly feeling like i'm tidying up after him. Or even if he appreciated it I'd feel better :roll:

My dh is the same. He does nothing apart from the odd bit of washing up, he did hoover the lounge at the weekend, oh and he remembered to put the wheelie bin out yesterday. Apart from that, nothing. He was brought up in South Africa, it's all different over there. The last time he did any washing was when I had Kellan, and only because I had to stay in 4 days due to an emergency section. When I had Zakary in April, he didn't do any, my sil did two loads the day after I came out, then it was down to me.

Even lunch boxes I generally have to do unless I'm feeding Zakary in the morning :roll:

:hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:52 pm

Miss_Purple wrote:If I was a SAHM then I would expect to do all the housework and DH would expect his dinner on the table every evening - that's one of the reasons I went back to work - it's easier :giggle:

If I went back to work I think I'd still have to do it all!

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:56 pm

My basic principle even now is that I don't expect to have to work harder with a partner than I would have to work if I was a single mum, the day that balance shifts is the day I ask him to move out!

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:57 pm

DH is pretty good, he does the washing up and cleans the kitchen after tea every night. He also puts Jasmine to bed every night, tidies the lounge, and sorts out the bins. He also vacuums the top floor as it's a PITA for me to get the vacuum cleaner up the stairs into the attic rooms.

He also does some of the laundry and vacuuming at the weekend; I do them during the week and it's generally my 'job' to clean the rest of the house and do all the cooking, weekdays and weekends.

If Jasmine wakes up before he goes to work he puts her on the potty and makes her breakfast. He also sorts out his own breakfast and lunch for work. He does his own ironing, I do mine and the kids'.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:02 pm

Lisa my DH was brought up in SA as well but like I said schooled away from home and national service was strict, did your DH do NS????

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Goddess