hf1

Decluttering for a house move and viewings

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Decluttering for a house move and viewings

Postby JabberJabber » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:46 pm

So, I know some of you have moved house recently, so can you give me some tips for decluttering and getting a place ready for viewings.

I know that when the estate agent comes to do their pictures, the house will need to be as tidy and clear as possible.

We have started by going through a cupboard / drawer a night and properly sorting things into keep, charity, pass on, sell or bin. I'm trying to be brutal, but sensible at the same time.

We have quite a lot to get through, considering it is not a large house!

What did you do in advance of viewings?

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Decluttering for a house move and viewings

Postby happytails » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:51 am

We haven't moved from our first bought house but any paperwork, get it filed! Paperwork makes a tidy room look cluttered. And first impressions, tidy garden/driveway/porch or hallway always good with a nice smell of baked goods in the oven or casserole in the slow cooker ;)

Good luck! X

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:14 am

We've not had to declutter for viewings because we're moving out of rented. But are going some serious decluttering as we pack.

My rule is: if it's not been out/used in 12 months then it goes! (unless it's stuff like camping equipment etc that you'd expect to only use once a year)

Also think of it like this when it comes to items: are you willing to pay someone to move it only for it to go back in a cupboard? If the answers no: get rid!

When we were viewing houses we didn't look in cupboards, but wanted to see the space available in each room. So cleared surfaces, things put away etc. helped. Some people say remove personal items like pictures etc so that the people don't see you in the house but can imagine themselves. This didn't actually bother us.

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:47 pm

omg you need to declutter your house :lol: i have visions of you putting your dh and his beer can out on the street, :giggle: surely theres no way you have clutter.

i'd go for the all your lights on, flowers in every room, curtains open approach and don't move too far :cry:

My avatar
confusinglady
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby confusinglady » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:56 pm

I m doing the same thing, had photos done today. How stressful having the house as tidy as can be! We have been tidying the front path, we painted the front door as it looked really tatty and touched up some paint work that we had learnt to live with.
We also cleared every surface and just generally tidied things away to make the house look bigger.
The pictures they have taken and put in a lovely brochure don t look like our house .... Actually neither does our house lol! It's soooooo tidy!
I hope we have lots of people to view it this week and one buys it so I don t have to maintain it for long lol!
My dd1 even asked yesterday why the house was so tidy.
We did buy flowers to put in the photos, we never buy flowers and DH has bought lilies which I m allergic to but they look pretty :)
Good luck with yours xxx

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:47 am

ramsons wrote:omg you need to declutter your house :lol: i have visions of you putting your dh and his beer can out on the street, :giggle: surely theres no way you have clutter.

We need to sort the cupboards out to put the stuff on the surfaces in them :giggle:

I though my DH was coming to stay with you.

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:59 pm

JabberJabber wrote:We need to sort the cupboards out to put the stuff on the surfaces in them :giggle:

I though my DH was coming to stay with you.

sure we can find him a perch in the hen house

Return to Domestic Goddess