hf1

Hints for packing up a house for a move?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Hints for packing up a house for a move?

Postby clothmama » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:55 am

I'm getting myself in a :panic: to the point where I'm not sleeping well and feeling really anxious :oops: . I think it may be because I'd had to just leave off and not think about it until my exams were done but now I can't see how I'll get it all done :eek: :eek:

Here in oz the agents are uber picky about everything being 100% perfect to get your bond back too so that is stressing me (even things that weren't perfect when we moved in are worrying me!).

Good news is that both passports that we were waiting on (yes that was another :panic: in the last fortnight when we realised that J would now need an Aussie one and that Josh's UK one had run out :panic: ) arrived today and yesterday so that is one less thing!

I just feel like there is stuff out everywhere and 1/2 packed boxes everywhere and I'm not sure what to do next!!

Any help appreciated!

@soupdragon considering your recent 9 day move feat love to hear how you did it!

My avatar
Bugglyboo
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Hints for packing up a house for a move?

Postby Bugglyboo » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:42 am

I'm glad your passports came :D that must be a big relief.
I don't have any advice as I am the worst packer. I just chuck whatever is near to hand into a box :S
I hope you manage to get it done.

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby emmavmorgan » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:43 am

It sounds to me like you need to get out of the house somewhere quiet and write yourself a really good list. Prioritise jobs and make sure you allocate them to people. Can the boys do things like clear up the yard and box (or at least sort out their toys) for packing. start packing room by room make sure you finish the room before starting the next leaving the kitchen until last. If I was on the same continent I'd pop round and help but the travel time is just a bit long :giggle:
:hug:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:58 am

Be ruthless - bin/charity shop/sell everything you can be without. Then start packing stuff you won't need between now and the move - books, kitchen equipment you can live without, out of season clothes, etc.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:02 am

Thanks girls
emmavmorgan wrote:It sounds to me like you need to get out of the house somewhere quiet and write yourself a really good list

Sat down yesterday and split a bit of paper into 4 lists
- To do
- Garage Sale items
- suitcase packing lists
- nothing yet on the 4th :lookround:

emmavmorgan wrote:Prioritise jobs and make sure you allocate them to people.

Feels like more trouble than it is worth to get them doing it :roll:. J has been doing the garage / office and all his stuff and getting the car sorted so until he finishes his stuff I'm on my own :giggle:

emmavmorgan wrote:start packing room by room make sure you finish the room before starting the next leaving the kitchen until last

:hohoho: :hohoho: :oops: :oops: maybe that is where I'm going wrong - I've got a box going in every room and I feel like I'm getting no where and wandering around the house and the main thing I've been on the last 2 days is the kitchen :doh: :doh:. Maybe I'll get the box I'm on done, clear my surfaces and I may actually feel better then I can start on the boys rooms tomorrow. :panic:

emmavmorgan wrote:If I was on the same continent I'd pop round and help but the travel time is just a bit long :giggle:

:giggle: Thanks for the offer!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:04 am

ladybird wrote:Be ruthless - bin/charity shop/sell everything you can be without. Then start packing stuff you won't need between now and the move - books, kitchen equipment you can live without, out of season clothes, etc.

We were hugely ruthless when we left France 3.5 years ago - we got all our belongings into a car and trailer :shock: so I dont' think we are too bad (although Mr seems to think we are :oops: - not sure if it is all my fabric and wool sitting around that I haven't got proper storage for that makes it seem very messy :giggle: ).

I'm having a garage sale on Saturday to get rid of all the furniture and anything else we don't need then I'll get the charity shop to do a pick up on the last day.

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:57 am

Good luck :thumbsup:

I'm not much help! I'm moving on Friday :panic: and have a grand total of 11 boxes & 5 black sacks packed :panic: I'm also working all day today & Thursday, and the removers are coming at 8.30 on Fri morning :shock: . The kids are going to the inlaws on Wed afternoon so I'll have a grand total of 1 afternoon to pack :shock:

:doh: Think I need good luck too :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:55 am

chocmuffin wrote:Good luck :thumbsup:

I'm not much help! I'm moving on Friday :panic: and have a grand total of 11 boxes & 5 black sacks packed :panic: I'm also working all day today & Thursday, and the removers are coming at 8.30 on Fri morning :shock: . The kids are going to the inlaws on Wed afternoon so I'll have a grand total of 1 afternoon to pack :shock:

:doh: Think I need good luck too :giggle:

:shock: :shock: :shock: You poor thing :hug: :hug: :hug: I hope you get it done. I feel terrible for saying but it has made me feel better :oops: :oops:

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:36 am

clothmama wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: You poor thing :hug: :hug: :hug: I hope you get it done. I feel terrible for saying but it has made me feel better :oops: :oops:

I'm sure we'll get there :widesmile: I had a big sort out a while ago so its just a case of boxing it all! If the worst comes to the worst I'll have to get my DH to do some! :giggle: Its just annoying sat here 'working', thinking about what needs doing & not being able to do it! :lol:

Next

Return to Domestic Goddess