hf1

Laundry routine?

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Laundry routine?

Postby ems101 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:08 pm

I don't iron much either, just my work things! Font have a tumble dryer either but have just got a heated airer which helps. We have three more racks, there us usually at least 1 load drying. I fold and put away every other day roughly. Wash sheets 1-2 weekly.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:22 pm

I only started ironing in the last 2 years as the boys got taller I noticed their creased clothes more. I never iron pj's, undies, bedding etc unlike my Mum!

I have 1 ironing rule, I fill up the iron with water & when that's gone I stop. That way I get little bits done regularly in super quick time and don't spend hours ironing at any one time. I usually do kids stuff 1st too because that's nice & quick and the pile looks much smaller after :wink:

Washing, I load the machine most nights and it comes on at 1am so it's ready to be hung out / put in drier etc the next morning.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:44 pm

I only have one child and she's not in nappies anymore so it's a lot easier for me.

Bedding I only do every fortnight and Martha's sometimes goes longer. Other stuff I tend to wash every day but with a couple of days off a week probably. I tend to put a wash on at night and hang it up before I go to bed. We don't have a tumble dryer - we have a washer dryer but I refuse to use it, growing up in the 70s I have a pathological fear of the amount of electric it uses.........

When I hang up the washing I fill the laundry basket with another load ready to go on in the morning or the next night. I alternate lights and darks and keep Martha's laundry seperate so that I can do a cheeky uniform wash if we're running low.

I iron nearly everything but DH does his own ironing and always has. I'm a real clothes horse tho and I like the feel of ironed pyjamas etc so it's necessary. Plus I work in a very smart environment. But also I don't tumble dry so my stuff is always creased - but I'd iron jeans and jumpers which a lot of ppl don't bother with. And also my cleaner does an hours ironing a week so I have a head start. We have a chest of drawers in the spare room that is just ironing, we have a drawer each and the bottom one is bedding.......:oops:

ETA - I do try to work out what I'm going to wear the night before, to avoid that mad scramble in the morning. And Martha's uniform is always laid out for her at bathtime. I do a cheeky 10/ 15 mins of ironing on a night when I've put her to bed just until I know she's asleep as I always go back to check on her after 10 mins anyway so saves me going downstairs.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:00 pm

No dryer here either. I think line drying is enough to get the creases out generally.

As for washing, I probably do one to two loads a day, with the occasional day off and the odd day with 3 things. We use cloth for pretty much everything so I do do a couple of hot washes a week. I have one laundry basket and one basket for carting stuff around in, so if it's full then things have to be done. I've also got the boys trained to put their own clothes away and all 4 are good at putting dirty stuff in the basket.
I don't wash anything that isn't dirty either. I find these discussions on a US forums leads me to think people wear stuff for half a day to a day and then washing them. Perhaps in the summer when you get sweaty, yes, but children don't generally sweat in the same way adults do so unless they get dirty from play/food then why the need to wash so often? Or am I just scummy :giggle:

My avatar
sophie2198
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby sophie2198 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:15 pm

nope shadow not scummy!! :lol:

I do a was load a day as a minimum just to keep up , some days there will be 2 loads sometimes 3 - summer is much easier for this though!

Clothes horse girl I am so everything gets aired overnight then put in tumble dryer to 10 mins to soften and also so that the next load can come out! I don't have a set time when I do the washing like some people sometime I'll load machine overnight ready for the morning , sometimes I'll load it in the afternoon ready for the evening.

Ironing I don't iron anything of mine other than my 4 work shirts , kids bits don't get ironed other than uniform and same for dp really unless anything is really creased!

I hate laundry though :oops:

My avatar
knees_on
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Site Supporter

Postby knees_on » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:02 pm

I am good at nappy washes :dancing: Buckets go on when full and on airer and sorted as soon as they are dry :)

I am total pants at clothes laundry though!! If I ever had to choose between nappies and clothes, I'm afraid the whole family would be wearing nappies :hohoho: They make great hats you know!

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby teganplus2 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:51 pm

@KimmyM stop ironing teatowels you big freak!!!! ;)

I have no routine to anything, if my wash basket is full I wash stuff, I make little piles on the floor (children's stuff, our stuff, lights, darks etc) and keep washing till it's all done and then panic as I have nowhere to dry it!! I only iron the littles clothes, haven't ironed anything of mine for years and if DH wants anything ironing he can do it himself! I only recently brought an iron and a board (my mum nearly had a heart attack when she walked in and saw it!!) :giggle:

So I'm no help, just wanted to let you know there are people out there with even less of a routine than you ;)

My avatar
KimmyM
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby KimmyM » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:05 am

teganplus2 wrote:@KimmyM stop ironing teatowels you big freak!!!! ;)

I have no routine to anything, if my wash basket is full I wash stuff, I make little piles on the floor (children's stuff, our stuff, lights, darks etc) and keep washing till it's all done and then panic as I have nowhere to dry it!! I only iron the littles clothes, haven't ironed anything of mine for years and if DH wants anything ironing he can do it himself! I only recently brought an iron and a board (my mum nearly had a heart attack when she walked in and saw it!!) :giggle:

So I'm no help, just wanted to let you know there are people out there with even less of a routine than you ;)

I don't like how they look on the hooks otherwise :oops: heck I even iron knickers and boxers. My mum always says how I'm ateadilu if you got run over and had screwed up underwear :lol: not sure it would be my first worry but at least you can see where it comes from.
I agree with @northenruth I couldn't wear PJ's that hadnt been ironed same goes for sheets they just feel so much nicer.

My avatar
teganplus2
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby teganplus2 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:16 am

See my rear end is that big I never have to worry about creased underwear, not that I would anyway, but my big bum stretches the crease right outta them bad boys
:giggle:

Seriously......STOP IT!!!! :loopy:

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Goddess