Smelly nappy bin.

My avatar
mummy_goose1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Smelly nappy bin.

Postby mummy_goose1 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:42 am

hello ladies!

I wash my nappies every 1-2 days, but i am finding (esp since using cloth overnight) that my nappy bucket absolutely hum dings!!! Hubby keeps complaining about it... and i don't want to put him off cloth!!!
I have a traditional plastic bucket wit lid....
what do you guys do/use to keep it smelling a bit better....?????

Thanks!

Kirsty x x

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Smelly nappy bin.

Postby ladybird » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:43 am

You could put a drop of tea tree oil in. We used to keep our nappy bucket just outside the back door and bleach it out every now and then.

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:50 am

I cut up a pantyliner/ sanitary towel into 3 and stick it on the inside ofthe lid and pop a coupple of drops of tea tree and lavender onto it.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:52 am

Are you using a nappy bucket liner? I find that helps. And I wash the bucket (with a spray of vinegar) whenever I put a nappy load in to wash.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:57 am

I use an XL wetbag instead of a bucket.

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:36 am

sprinkle some bicarbonate of soda in the bottom or mix into a thick paste with water and tea tree oil and put in ice cube trays until hard- add the tablet to the bottom of the bucket and rinse bucket when nappies go in the wash. I usually do mine every other time as the tabs keep it a bit fresher!

My avatar
cara2244
Clothie
Clothie

Postby cara2244 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:15 pm

I occasionally fill mine with water and a drop of bleach and leave overnight. It doesn't seem to do the nappies any harm and it gets rid of the smell.
MY OH, who was always very anti cloth, has been properly turning his nose up at the pampers we have had to use this week because DS has been poorly! He moans that they stink and when he took one off earlier he said 'what am I supposed to do with this?' A convert ;)

My avatar
Mungo
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Mungo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:22 am

Louise wrote:I use an XL wetbag instead of a bucket.

WSS. It zips up and I've never had a problem with escaping smells, even with whiffy night nappies :wink:

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:30 am

I put a few drops of tea tree oil a cloth wipe & put it in the lid of our bucket. Every so often it gets a good bleach out to remove any lingering smells or germs.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Accessories