My avatar
yellow45
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Bit confused over the Alphabet

Postby yellow45 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:36 pm

e586 wrote:
yellow45 wrote:
e586 wrote:starfall is a big hit here too! :)

We do a bit of both sounds and letter names, though our main issue at the moment is that nursery does the 'uh' on the end of every sound and I don't, so I'm always saying 'nnnnnn for Natalie' and she's coming out with 'nuh' for Natalie.

That can be so confusing for LOs, especially when they come to write and they put an 'u' at the end of most words/letters :hohoho:

I know, it drove me nuts when I taught in KS1 which is why I'm trying to teach mine the pure sounds, but when nursery use Letterland and the 'uh' sound on everything and she's there 3 days a week it isn't helping!!

Is Letterland still being used? I'm surprised! That's one of the downsides of things always changing in education-once something is 'in' many schools/nurseries buy into it and feel they have to keep on using it as it was a big expense.

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Bit confused over the Alphabet

Postby e586 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:43 pm

they don't use it exclusively as far as I know, but they do the letter/people names bit as Natalie used to come home saying she's Naughty Nick! Haven't heard it recently though so maybe they've phased it out.

Previous

Return to Home Education