17%

Total votes : 46
My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Homeschooling... Yay or Nay? - Poll - Please Vote

Postby northernruth » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:12 pm

If I tried to home educate Martha while I was supposedly working from home I would either be short changing my employer or Martha. In the long run it wouldn't be sustainable.

For it to work for us as a couple, in the careers we have chosen (or ended up in!) one of us would have to stop work. But then we have demanding jobs and along with that goes higher rewards, so it wouldn't be out of the question financially.

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby beffys » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:15 pm

I think it depends where and how you work though. I work a lot when Ella is either in nursery or when she is asleep. But yup lifestyle has a big impact on what you can do I guess. It's how you adapt things to make it work. I couldn't do my old job from home while educating from home. Well I could, but on the same flexible basis where I worked around Ella.

My avatar
Mock
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Mock » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:23 pm

northernruth wrote:
Mock wrote:Same here, we HE our four children and we both work.

How do you manage that (both of you) - does one of you work from home or are you both part time? I hear the comments about qualtiy of teaching, but there's obviously the childcare issue to cover. (I'm not implying either of you leave your children home alone :wink: )

We're both self employed and do most work type stuff during the evening.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:26 pm

It's worth remembering that the average school day doesn't actually have that much time spent working - take out the time taken for registration, assembly, lining up, putting coats on and off, play times, lunch times, snack times, stopping to discipline, etc, etc, etc and you're down to about 3hrs a day so I'm told. Combine that with the fact that a lot of the learning with HE is actually the child learning through their own means, as opposed to formerly sitting down and working and it's relatively easy to work around, if you can be at home.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:46 pm

northernruth wrote:If I tried to home educate Martha while I was supposedly working from home I would either be short changing my employer or Martha. In the long run it wouldn't be sustainable.

Perhaps not but one of you could get a different job or try one of the other options I suggested. At the end of the day, families that want to HE will find a solution that fits their family lifestyle and parenting choices. It doesn't have to mean compromises for anyone. My customers and children certainly aren't short changed in any way.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:50 pm

ladybird wrote:It's worth remembering that the average school day doesn't actually have that much time spent working - take out the time taken for registration, assembly, lining up, putting coats on and off, play times, lunch times, snack times, stopping to discipline, etc, etc, etc and you're down to about 3hrs a day so I'm told. Combine that with the fact that a lot of the learning with HE is actually the child learning through their own means, as opposed to formerly sitting down and working and it's relatively easy to work around, if you can be at home.

Yup, totally agree. With older children especially you just need to be there for support/encouragement/guidance not formal classroom learning. Children are far more able than most adults give them credit. :)

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:56 pm

Im seriously considering it now just have to convince hubby, long way off yet though izzy is only 1 :giggle:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:00 pm

nappynutter wrote:
northernruth wrote:If I tried to home educate Martha while I was supposedly working from home I would either be short changing my employer or Martha. In the long run it wouldn't be sustainable.

Perhaps not but one of you could get a different job or try one of the other options I suggested. At the end of the day, families that want to HE will find a solution that fits their family lifestyle and parenting choices. It doesn't have to mean compromises for anyone. My customers and children certainly aren't short changed in any way.

I wasn't implying that they were! My point was I couldn't do my job and home school/ educate Martha. I completely accept that anything is possible if you make changes, but not everyone is in a position to do that.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:13 pm

northernruth wrote:
nappynutter wrote:

I wasn't implying that they were! My point was I couldn't do my job and home school/ educate Martha. I completely accept that anything is possible if you make changes, but not everyone is in a position to do that.

Lol, I didn't think you were implying that at all. At the end of the day there are very few situations were people can't make it work for them. It's the same with breastfeeding. How many times have you heard of people saying they can't breastfeed because they have to go back to work?

PreviousNext

Return to Home Education