hf1

Home Schooling

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Home Schooling

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:05 pm

I wont be choosing to home school, but then that is my thoughts right now. As PP have said not everything is taught in schools, so I would want Benjamin to have inputs from lots of areas and school just being one of them.

Have you looked at any alternative schools - not mainstream state, but independent ones as those could offer more opportunities.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:38 pm

Have you thought about Steiner schooling? My son went to one for the early yrs.. 3-4 and went on occasion after that just to play, they just couldn't take him full time as he had medical problems they couldnt deal with full time. Though I dont think at that age they did full time anyway. Full time "education" is sort of the wrong way to describe the way they taught! They dont push babs into full time edu until they a abit oilder. even then its done so gradually!
It was incredibly friendly, very homely. It was def' worth it.

http://www.steinerwaldorf.org/

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:09 pm

Steiner is a great option, but their full time, definately at our local school is 8.30 to 12.30 and that is for kindie (what would be nursery, reception and year 1) all the way to I think the upper age limit of about 14.

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:13 pm

I know they can be very accomodating. Thats one of the nicer things about them. My son couldn't allways cope with a full session, somtimes they would phone and ask if hecould stay on.. sometimes they would ring and say otherwise. The kindergarten with Steiner goes up to 7 years of age, and upper school goes up to 19. we only did it for a yr from 3-4 and by 4 and a bit, it didnt work for him any longer, I was paying the bill but he went once every week or two weeks and so I decided at that point home schooling was our only option. Had he been ok health wise, I would have continued most probably, but at the time he needed me, more than he needed schooling.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:32 pm

Less than a year ago I would have said NOT ON YOUR NELLY!! haha but recently I've come round to the idea...
I'm enjoying learning stuff with Isabelle so much right now and I'm really going to miss our time learning through fun together when she goes to school so I want to look into part-time home-schooling which I know is possible though you need the support of the school really :roll:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:44 pm

And OH MY :shock: I've just mentioned the idea to DH and honestly you'd have thought I was suggesting corporal punishment! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Seriously!
He refused to say much but his face and attitude when he did finally speak said it all!!

I know he's been sick today but who are you and what have you done with my husband?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :x :x :x :x :x

Well I'm not speaking to him and I'm off to bed now :cry:

(sorry to hijack the thread :oops: )

My avatar
ems
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby ems » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:18 pm

:hohoho: I guess he wasn't impressed with the idea! men <grin>

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:19 am

It's something that i would love to do but there are 2 factors holding me back
1) i would seriously worry that i wasn't teaching him the 'right' things,and
2) i know exactly what my OH would say and it wouldn't be supportive *sigh*

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
moonfruit
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby moonfruit » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:21 am

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to look into the steiner schooling and possibly part time home schooling.

Previous

Return to Home Education