17%

Total votes : 46
My avatar
bubbaloo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Homeschooling... Yay or Nay? - Poll - Please Vote

Postby bubbaloo » Sat May 01, 2010 6:00 am

I would like to homeschool but I cant for a few different reasons.
Instead I send him to Nursery for a couple of hours each day, not everyday. I do homeschool fun stuff the rest of the day and it makes me focus my time on what we do properly. That way I ensure he doesnt watch TV when he is at home.

If I had my way I would though. I have started a blog to help people homeschooling http://twolittleseeds.blogspot.com/ . It is based on homeschooling US blogs.

I also have a teaching with Early Years background which helps. A lot of US homeschoolers do.

Yay for me. x

My avatar
hayheadsbird
Clothie
Clothie

Re: Homeschooling. Yay or Nay? - Poll - Please Vote

Postby hayheadsbird » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:54 pm

Wow - that was really enlightening, though I must admit I giggled my way through quite a few posts! :giggle: Mostly because although I don't Home Ed, DD already gets the chance to do them!

I'm a teacher, so very happy sending DD to school, but to be fair, I don't really send her, I take her! I also teach in a very small school, less than 20 pupils and 2 teachers. So for us a lot of the big positives of HE are actually being met in school already due to our personal circumstances. Small groups, mixed ages and abilities, independent learning, child led learning. Being such a tiny school as well means that a lot of the community is involved in the school as well, grandparents ect come in on a regular basis to share different skills with the pupils. This last term we have been learning to make traditional crafts using straw which NON of the teachers would have been able to teach, but we can and do make use of others who can :cool:

If we didn't live where we do then I think I would consider HE. The change in DDs education since moving here has been immense. From going from a class of 30 to technically a class of 2 mixed in with another 17 means she has been able to take part in all the things she wanted to do at school like pupil council ect but never got the chance. I've also seen how she has finally discovered she enjoys reading, excels in maths, can lead and support others in in their learning and take the initiative creatively. These are things she might have been able to do if being HE'd, but definitely did not do in a more traditional school environment. Given the changes in the last few years in Scottish education has also helped, the curriculum has moved to being much more pupil and skill driven which gives us as teachers much more justification in what can be taught.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:36 pm

That sounds like a fantastic school!

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:20 am

I can't vote for some reason.....but its a no from me.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:36 am

Caroline wrote:I can't vote for some reason.....but its a no from me.

Because this thread is 15 months old, I think. ;)

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:20 am

clothmama wrote:That sounds like a fantastic school!

WSS!

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:53 am

An absolute yes from me. I love the fact that home education has no strict timetable, that the children learn what interests them most, that I'll be able to see them grow & learn rather than read It on a report.
From the social side, the children aren't locked up, and in fact will be exploring more places & meeting new people with trips out and HE group meetings.
Home educated children aren't thick!

Previous

Return to Home Education