17%

Total votes : 46
My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Homeschooling... Yay or Nay? - Poll - Please Vote

Postby aimeet » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:22 pm

I know that at the forum I went to the people running it said that there are actually a lot of home educator networks now that enable people who HE to get together and run larger scale activities, also gives the kids a chance to get together for play and learning. They also mentioned that it was a great way fro them to do trips and the like. I'm sure if you were interested that you could enquire locally to find out if there are others that HE and maybe join forces/ swap skills etc. Just a thought.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:41 pm

I also wonder if it's easier when you've got more kids as they keep each other entertained/interested more...

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:45 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:I also wonder if it's easier when you've got more kids as they keep each other entertained/interested more...

Probably a bit of yes and no. It can be interesting juggling 3 different subjects or 1 subject at 3 different levels! Since taking mine out of school I find they get along better. It was as if they needed to get used to each other after school/at weekends, having been apart for the day iyswim. School holidays were nightmares to start with, gradually they'd get used to each other again by the end and then they'd be back at school again. Yes, they still fight (I'd be worried if they didn't!), but not nearly as much.

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:27 pm

I voted unsure as didn't feel I knew enough for an opinion, however thank you all for such an interesting discussion I've learnt loads!

My avatar
Bobble Boy's Mum
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Bobble Boy's Mum » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:31 pm

I would love to do it although I am 99.9% sure my OH would be totally against it. Also we wouldn't be able to afford to live long term on just my OHs wage :(

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:34 pm

There's no need to give up an income to HE. Lots of HE families have two working parents and there are lots of ways to make it work. DH and I both work.

My avatar
Mock
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Mock » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:38 pm

nappynutter wrote:There's no need to give up an income to HE. Lots of HE families have two working parents and there are lots of ways to make it work. DH and I both work.

Same here, we HE our four children and we both work.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:55 pm

Mock wrote:
nappynutter wrote:There's no need to give up an income to HE. Lots of HE families have two working parents and there are lots of ways to make it work. DH and I both work.

Same here, we HE our four children and we both work.

How do you manage that (both of you) - does one of you work from home or are you both part time? I hear the comments about qualtiy of teaching, but there's obviously the childcare issue to cover. (I'm not implying either of you leave your children home alone :wink: )

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:06 pm

There are lots of ways to make it work.

Some people work part-time. Some people work different shifts. Some people use flexible working arrangements with their employer to work part or full time from home. Some people are self-employed. Some people share care with other HE families. Some people share care with other family members. I'm sure there are lots of other solutions.

PreviousNext

Return to Home Education