Ah, was this an EO group?

My avatar
freyasmummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Does anyone here home educate?

Postby freyasmummy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:16 am

No.
Last edited by freyasmummy on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:23 am

Lol, okay it just sounded like something they would do.

TBH, you will find personalities like that in all parts of life. It's very easy to walk away though and find another group (or even start your own group), without having to change your HE plans.

You might like to avoid the school PTA if you don't like power hungry egomaniacs. :hohoho:

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:35 am

nappynutter wrote:
You might like to avoid the school PTA if you don't like power hungry egomaniacs. :hohoho:

I think this a unfair- I actually would love to HE my children but due to circumstances can't- I am a member of our school parent council (now both schools my oldest recently started high school) so i can have a better understanding of how the school runs, support it and try to change things if needed, thus trying to improve the school for my children.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:48 am

charliesam wrote:
nappynutter wrote:

I think this a unfair- I actually would love to HE my children but due to circumstances can't- I am a member of our school parent council (now both schools my oldest recently started high school) so i can have a better understanding of how the school runs, support it and try to change things if needed, thus trying to improve the school for my children.

I don't think it's necessarily unfair nor a comment on you - if I have the time I'd like to join our local primary school governors for the very reasons you cite, but I fully expect there to be some puffed up unpleasant individuals involved. if there isn't tho, I'll be pleasantly surprised!

And I'd love to know where all these weak drippy HE parents are......... :wink: :giggle:

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:05 am

charliesam wrote:
nappynutter wrote:

It was obviously a joke.

I was a member of the School Board, Parent Council and Transport Committee when my kids were at school. My DH was also on the School Board and Parent Council and at a Local Authority level he was on the Placing in Schools Appeals Committee, the Consultative Committee with Parents and the ICT Strategy Board.

My point was that you find characters like that in all organisations and especially on committees which tend to bring together strong characters.

My avatar
Mock
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Mock » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:56 am

freyasmummy wrote:We had every intention of home educating DD, but after some truly appalling behaviour by the chair and committee of a HE group we were attending; we decided that school would actually be a safer, more inclusive option, and she starts on Monday!

Seems very strange to decide to not home educate for such a reason, especially if you had every intention of doing it! :? There are many other ways to get together with other children; not being able to go to one HE group is a bizarre decider as presumably you had other reasons for wanting to home educate?

My avatar
freyasmummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby freyasmummy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:40 pm

Mock wrote:
freyasmummy wrote:We had every intention of home educating DD, but after some truly appalling behaviour by the chair and committee of a HE group we were attending; we decided that school would actually be a safer, more inclusive option, and she starts on Monday!

Seems very strange to decide to not home educate for such a reason, especially if you had every intention of doing it! :? There are many other ways to get together with other children; not being able to go to one HE group is a bizarre decider as presumably you had other reasons for wanting to home educate?

Without knowing what happened, I don't think you're in a position to judge whether or not my response was proportional or 'bizarre'. As it happened, I wasn't the only one to make the same decision.
Last edited by freyasmummy on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Mock
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Mock » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:43 pm

freyasmummy wrote:
Mock wrote:

Without knowing what happened, I don't think you're in a position to judge whether or not my response was proportional or 'bizarre'. As it happened, I wasn't the only one to make the same decision.

I wasn't judging, I was basing my statement on the information that you had offered so far.

PreviousNext

Return to Home Education