hf1

Does anyone here home educate?

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Does anyone here home educate?

Postby nappynutter » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:00 pm

freyasmummy wrote:As it happened, I wasn't the only one to make the same decision.

You mean to send their child(ren) to school because of the actions of the Chair of an HE group? Blimey. :shock:

Not judging you either, just wondering what on earth happened that was so bad.

My avatar
freyasmummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby freyasmummy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:30 pm

nappynutter wrote:
freyasmummy wrote:As it happened, I wasn't the only one to make the same decision.

You mean to send their child(ren) to school because of the actions of the Chair of an HE group? Blimey. :shock:

Not judging you either, just wondering what on earth happened that was so bad.

I'm not being deliberately obtuse, there are solicitors involved and I;m not sure how much I can say. However, the involvement of solicitors is never *good*, really!

I'm still very pro-HE, but in this climate, with the local-to-us HE community, and with this particular child, it's no longer the best option right now. I'd not hesitate to HE in future, if it was best.
Last edited by freyasmummy on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:23 pm

:nowar: :giggle: Sorry, I've just been wanting to use that one, and hoping this interesting thread won't degenerate further :oops:.

I can definitely sympathise with HE'ing, for a variety of reasons, but have to confess the idea of doing it myself terrifies me slightly. I can't really imagine how you go about the whole thing - working out a curriculum, meeting whatever requirements there might be (presumably there are some?), etc. I don't think it's for us, but would be interested to hear about what kinds of activities people do, how your days are structured, how you go about the whole thing... great stuff!

Also, I say it's not for us, but of course I mean that in a formal sense - Lucas, at 5 1/2, has learned far more at home than he has at school (numbers, shapes, colours, letters, basic maths, two languages, reading, growing plants and veggies, animal husbandry, etc. etc. etc.), and Lili is following in his footsteps. That's all stuff that fits into daily life and in and around my and DH's work (we both work from/at home). I guess I just feel like I wouldn't know where to begin with all the rest of it (history, grammar, science...). Lots of respect for those of you who do, though! :mrgreen:

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:37 pm

rhead wrote::nowar: :giggle: Sorry, I've just been wanting to use that one, and hoping this interesting thread won't degenerate further :oops:.

:giggle: and I agree.

rhead wrote:would be interested to hear about what kinds of activities people do, how your days are structured, how you go about the whole thing...

I would be really interested in a 'typical' day of HE.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:45 pm

rhead wrote::nowar: :giggle: Sorry, I've just been wanting to use that one, and hoping this interesting thread won't degenerate further :oops:.

Lol, no wars imminent. :wink:

rhead wrote:I can definitely sympathise with HE'ing, for a variety of reasons, but have to confess the idea of doing it myself terrifies me slightly. I can't really imagine how you go about the whole thing - working out a curriculum, meeting whatever requirements there might be (presumably there are some?), etc. I don't think it's for us, but would be interested to hear about what kinds of activities people do, how your days are structured, how you go about the whole thing... great stuff!

No requirements, no curriculum, that's what schools are for.

rhead wrote:Also, I say it's not for us, but of course I mean that in a formal sense - Lucas, at 5 1/2, has learned far more at home than he has at school (numbers, shapes, colours, letters, basic maths, two languages, reading, growing plants and veggies, animal husbandry, etc. etc. etc.), and Lili is following in his footsteps. That's all stuff that fits into daily life and in and around my and DH's work (we both work from/at home). I guess I just feel like I wouldn't know where to begin with all the rest of it (history, grammar, science...). Lots of respect for those of you who do, though! :mrgreen:

This is HE. The other stuff follows when they are older and they teach themselves. :widesmile:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:50 pm

You can have as little or as much structure and formal learning in your day as you like. We're fairly autonomous, rarely get books out to sit down and work with. Dh knows a minimal amount of British history, I know very little more, yet Ocean could identify and talk about Henry VIII at the age of 4 (pre reception age) and at 5yrs can correct many an adult on various historical eras and quite possibly comes across as a little obnoxious (for want of a better word). He loves history. All 3 of my children could discuss various aspects of world geography, one could hold a lesson or two on petrol engines, including the science behind them, another on steam. They will all discuss and question an expert for a good hour or more if time permits, and the interest is there. My eldest is 9 and regularly reads books way above (I have to be careful to check content), etc, etc. They will rarely be found without a book when in the house and mornings don't start until they've had their reading time (at their insistence).
I'm using these as examples, not bragging. HE is more about encouraging a child's interests and facilitating them. They learn what they WANT to learn, not what they are told to learn. A curriculum is optional and requirements (in our county at least) are minimal. HE is an extension of what you are doing naturally with your children before they start school, they are learning constantly and continue to do so.

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:03 pm

It sounds so nice! Aren't there administrative hoops to jump through, though?

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Our council sends a letter once a year, we reply with a rough idea of what we are doing. Job done. And that's only if you've deregistered your children from a school place and then it seems to be hit and miss. If your children have never been to school then they won't be known to the system as readily.

It does vary from council to council.

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:08 pm

Personally I'm not against HE....it's not for me or my children as they love and thrive in their school and it's an important and essential part of their day. For other children, HE is the better and most valuable form of education.

What concerns me slightly though is how do you develop HE into "comprehensive school" level? At this point, children at school would be taking exams, choosing their GCSE subjects etc and working toward these qualifications. What is the HE comparison? If you're not following the curriculum, does that mean that a HEd child doesn't have to sit GCSE's/A Levels etc? How would this affect them in the future when they began job hunting etc as most employers, particularly those in "career" type jobs insist on formal qualifications?

Am interested in understanding :)

PreviousNext

Return to Home Education