hf1

Does anyone here home educate?

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Does anyone here home educate?

Postby nappynutter » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:17 pm

Lizzy wrote:Seriously, I would love to have him at home, but he needs structure and routine and enjoys the academic stuff, so it's not too bad. :wink:

I have several AS/ADD kids too.

Kids with ASDs do like routine but it has to be one of their own choosing, not one impossed on them. It's certainly common for school educated ASD kids to have meltdowns at home because they let out all their built up emotions from during the day in a place that they feel secure. I think lots of families with ASD children choose to HE so their child can find a routine that suits them.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:28 pm

I think its ok to have a different environment for each child, what suits one may not suit another. I am going to let Isobella go to her nursery place when she is 3 and then see how she does. I have considered home educating and am completely torn.

On one hand I see how Isobella LOVES being around other children and learning/playing with them. I think she would really enjoy school. On the other side though my lovely little girl was copying a little lad who was spitting yesterday! FFS i am actually scared that she will go to school and come home swearing, spitting and other such grossness :(

Plus hubby won't entertain the idea, so might have a problem there!

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:17 am

littlesez wrote:On the other side though my lovely little girl was copying a little lad who was spitting yesterday! FFS i am actually scared that she will go to school and come home swearing, spitting and other such grossness :(

We found this, big time. I had 3 lovely, polite, well mannered children who wouldn't dream of such behaviour (hmm, ok so they weren't complete angels!). Until my eldest started school :x

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:19 am

Not HE related but Kieran is swearing when he is out playing now and it is driving me mental, I don't think school can be entirely blamed though, have you heard the way people talk out in the street! I have told people to watch their language in front of our kids !
My friend in the US HE 3 of her 5 kids, they have a big network of he parents though and regularly do things together x

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:27 am

I've thought of that Kirsty, but my kids don't pick up new stuff from walking down the street. It started when Nayan started school, mixing with children with older siblings, children whose parents probably allow different behaviour in their homes, etc, etc. Before that there was nothing and since they left school nothing new.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:48 am

ladybird wrote:I've thought of that Kirsty, but my kids don't pick up new stuff from walking down the street. It started when Nayan started school, mixing with children with older siblings, children whose parents probably allow different behaviour in their homes, etc, etc. Before that there was nothing and since they left school nothing new.

I know this won't be the only reason you home ed, but actually at some point children need to learn to make their own value judgements (with the help of their parents, natch) about what is and isn't right. Sheltering them from bad influences isn't the way I would choose to educate them about right and wrong.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:50 am

northernruth wrote:
ladybird wrote:I've thought of that Kirsty, but my kids don't pick up new stuff from walking down the street. It started when Nayan started school, mixing with children with older siblings, children whose parents probably allow different behaviour in their homes, etc, etc. Before that there was nothing and since they left school nothing new.

I know this won't be the only reason you home ed, but actually at some point children need to learn to make their own value judgements (with the help of their parents, natch) about what is and isn't right. Sheltering them from bad influences isn't the way I would choose to educate them about right and wrong.

Oh god no, of course not! It was an observation and had very little (if anything) to do with our decision to HE at all. It's a bonus rather than a reason to :lol:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:51 am

Sorry, not having a go...........I just think HE already has a bit of a reputation for "sheltering" children, and you don't want to add any fuel to that fire :wink:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:54 am

Really? I wasn't aware of that reputation at all, if anything I'd say the opposite. My kids experience so much more now than when they were at school.

PreviousNext

Return to Home Education