hf1

Home educating families - age gaps

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Home educating families - age gaps

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:10 pm

Very interested in HE and still trying to find out as much as possible. I'd like to know the ages of those families who HE please. We dont get any external help from grandparents, so i'm trying to figure out a balance where, somehow, DH and I will get quality couple time.
Thanks for any info!

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Home educating families - age gaps

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:11 pm

I mean Ages of the children. :)

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:24 pm

Not quite sure of how the age gaps affect quality time :-?
I have 23months between each of my children, they are now 10, 8 and 6. We have no external help (bar the odd visit from my parents, but they're both hours away). Dh and I make time in the evenings, albeit a grabbed 1/2hr or so. I have the boys for the full 5 days a week, dh doesn't really see them during the week as he is out of the house between 5am and 8.30pm. He takes the boys for a full day at the weekend, this gives me a needed break (I'm someone who needs alone time!) and we have the other day at the weekend all together. The evenings are our time together without the children, 'adult time' if you like.

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:32 pm

Yeah sorry didn't word it very well - perils of being up since 5am lol!
I guess What i'm wondering is whether or not I'll cope. I've already had to just "agree" with mum that they're going to school (anything to stop the well meaning ear ache). I dont want my children going to school (we live in a less than favourable area). i've stopped vaccinations and am not prepared for the lo's to have them for school.
Hope that made some sense!

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:40 pm

You will cope, as you do now. I find my kids get on better since they came out of school. When they were at school every weekend and the first couple of weeks of each holiday were battlegrounds, as they got used to and got to know each other again. They still fight, of course (I'd worry if they didn't!), but it's not the same at all.
The day is more relaxed too, no rushing to get out of the house in the mornings, etc.

We didn't vax for school, it's a recommendation, not a requirement akaik.

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:46 pm

Thanks Shadow :)
I guess its natural to doubt ur abilities when someone plants the seed of "how will u cope" or "u need a break its not healthy" - all total rubbish!

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:48 pm

It is, certainly. But then I doubted what we were doing when sending them to school, I think it's natural to have doubts and concerns about everything!
It can be hard work, but it's also fun. That's parenting I guess!!

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:58 pm

My kids are 2, 5, 8, 12, 14 and 17 (although she's going to uni in September).

We don't have external help, family live too far away but we don't find it a struggle at all. We are always busy but not in a stressful way. In fact, it's much less tying - no school runs to cut into your day or terms times to get in the way of plans. Very liberating and flexible. :D

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:20 pm

I'm definately loving the idea of no hectic school runs :hohoho:

Next

Return to Home Education