hf1

Pets at Home workshops

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Pets at Home workshops

Postby nappynutter » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:15 pm

becsom wrote:Does anyone have any further info for this? I had a quick look on their website but can't see anything :-?

Eta Do you need to contact your local branch??

Yup, they should have posters up. :D

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:32 pm

Ooooo we're going to our local retail park where Pets at Home is on Friday so I'll have a nosy :D

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:37 pm

Unfortunately the Manchester ones aren't up to the Scottish standards and are well known to the RSPCA...

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:43 pm

Wow.Completely different experience to the few times I have been in several in different areas in the Uk.Ill animals,overcrowded, poor advice being given on care and sizes of cages.Problems with people buying sick animals. The animals they sell are commercially bred with little regard for health etc.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:44 pm

It would appear several others have had bad experiences also
e.g
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/show ... hp?t=70786

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:53 pm

Our local one is great, the animals look happy and well cared for and they do a lot of rehoming of unwanted pets. They also have a lot of things on with local childminder/ toddler groups. I guess it's down to the individual store manager.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:01 pm

I believe they are allowed to rehome the older animals that have not sold through their adoption centres also.I don't believe any shop should be allowed to sell live animals either but that's a whole separate discussion.
Last edited by lazylexis on Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:02 pm

lazylexis wrote:Wow.Completely different experience to the few times I have been in several in different areas in the Uk.Ill animals,overcrowded, poor advice being given on care and sizes of cages.Problems with people buying sick animals. The animals they sell are commercially bred with little regard for health etc.

Absolutely not experienced that here at all. (DH and the kids are super impressed by the cleanliness and excellent welfare standards and they are in our local branch a lot.) The staff at our store are also very fussy about telling people RSPCA sizing for housing and the animals are all in very spacious accommodation (exceeding RSPCA guidelines). In fact, the RSPCA approve the accommodation in store and what they sell.

However, I'm sure anyone concerned that their local store is not up to scratch is capable of saying something to the manager or PAH Head Office and doesn't have to attend the workshops there.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:03 pm

lazylexis wrote:I believe they are allowed to rehome the older animals that have not sold through their adoption centres also.I don't believe any shop should be allowed to sell live animals either but that's a whole separate discussion.

Yes, some are described as not sold. There's a demand for small animals and if it's not met by petshops it will be met by amateur breeders, and what will happen to the unwanted pets then?

PreviousNext

Return to Home Education