hf1

Home Ed parents; How do you afford it?

My avatar
est4elvis
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Home Ed parents; How do you afford it?

Postby est4elvis » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:13 pm

So i really am loving the idea of home ed for my daughter but when she goes to nursery at 3 its a chance for me to go back to work. if i teach her at home then I know you get no help or funding so how do you afford it? Do you just survive on one wage?

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Home Ed parents; How do you afford it?

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:15 pm

I was wondering this... Not the wage thing but the cost of all the activities. These school holidays are costing me a fortune doing different trips etc. :roll:

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:41 pm

Personally I'll be working from home, or part time and DH will be working either full time or from home too, depending on whether anyone ever gives him a job :roll: or if his self employed venture pans out. SO if we're both working away from home I'll just make sure my work fits around his, IYSWIM.

When my sister was HEing her kids she was a child minder so worked at home, her DH worked full time away from home, then they were in a very bad car accident and he started on incapacity, or whatever it is now, due to othe rhealth issues too and my sister worked away from home. By that time the 2 eldest were at college and the youngest was the only one left at home being HE'd :D

HTH a little :D

My avatar
est4elvis
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby est4elvis » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:47 pm

so u definite then yeah? daz disagrees on this particular subject but lillie is soo clever + i honestly believe its cos of all the input i have done with her so far. so therefore that would make sense to carry it on iyswim, but i want to go back to my job! i love my job + it pays me well! :giggle: + anyway what would i do working at home?! :shock:

My avatar
zippie-purple-monkey
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby zippie-purple-monkey » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:52 pm

We plan to HE our two.
I dont believe that HE will cost a fortune as there are many things you can do which are free or work with a budget. My hubby will work full time days, and if circumstances permit, I will work part-time in the evenings. There's always a way :)

HE isn't for everyone - its what works for your family and circumstances that is best.
Last edited by zippie-purple-monkey on Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:54 pm

It doesn't need to cost a fortune. I buy cheap books, we use the library and the internet. Trips are often at group prices within the local HE group and you're not obliged to go anywhere and everywhere. We don't have a car so often don't go far. Local museums are cheap, council activities are relatively cheap and sometimes free...HE doesn't need to cost. I don't think we pay anymore than we would if the boys were at school, we don't have to fork out for uniform and school shoes ;)

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:23 pm

I was going to say museums are free ;) Unless you want to see a special exhibition. And yep libraries, parks, wildlife studies are all free :D

est4elvis wrote:so u definite then yeah? daz disagrees on this particular subject but lillie is soo clever + i honestly believe its cos of all the input i have done with her so far. so therefore that would make sense to carry it on iyswim, but i want to go back to my job! i love my job + it pays me well! :giggle: + anyway what would i do working at home?! :shock:

Yep we're definite :D Chris is quite into the idea as he's artistic and feels that's where going to school really let him down, so he feels like me that teaching the girls at home we have a better chance at encouraging their particular interests :D

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:17 pm

Not all museums are free ;)

My avatar
est4elvis
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby est4elvis » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:54 pm

i just don't think we can afford to live on one wage though! we cant afford anything at the moment + its soooo rubbish! I spend all my time worrying about money so i just think i have to go back to work or we wont survive! we need 2 wages just to be able to live!

Next

Return to Home Education