hf1

Home Ed parents; How do you afford it?

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Home Ed parents; How do you afford it?

Postby indigosky2k » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:03 pm

ladybird wrote:Not all museums are free ;)

All the ones I've been in are unless like I said it was a specific exhibition :? The only exception being Eureka in Halifax which is a bit more than just a museum and now do annual membership for the one off cost of a visit. There certainly enough free ones IMO to be used for HE purposes :D

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:06 pm

est4elvis wrote:i just don't think we can afford to live on one wage though! we cant afford anything at the moment + its soooo rubbish! I spend all my time worrying about money so i just think i have to go back to work or we wont survive! we need 2 wages just to be able to live!

But would it have to be full time work? :)

Going to confuse myself now having 2 conversations with you about this :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:33 pm

indigosky2k wrote:

All the ones I've been in are unless like I said it was a specific exhibition :? The only exception being Eureka in Halifax which is a bit more than just a museum and now do annual membership for the one off cost of a visit. There certainly enough free ones IMO to be used for HE purposes :D

I guess that depends where you live. There are plenty we've visited that aren't, often small museums that are probably depending on the few £s that do come in to keep them going. We paid a few £s in a tiny, 2 room museum whilst we were on holiday in Devon. We spent ages in there though, one room alone kept the boys amused for over an hour.

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:01 pm

I've been in all the museums and art galleries in Manchester and not had to pay, except to see the awesome Human Body exhibition at MoSI, well worth every penny though :D The Media Museum here in Bradford and the art galleries are free, the Leeds museum is free and even my little local medieval house museum called Bolling Hall is free. The National Railway museum York is free, and all the other museums I found where you do pay are the same as Eureka where you get a years entry for your ticket :D

My point is many educational type museums are free and those you pay for you can visit over and over in a year for less than £10 :D

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:37 pm

ladybird wrote:
indigosky2k wrote:

I guess that depends where you live. There are plenty we've visited that aren't, often small museums that are probably depending on the few £s that do come in to keep them going. We paid a few £s in a tiny, 2 room museum whilst we were on holiday in Devon. We spent ages in there though, one room alone kept the boys amused for over an hour.

Ooh what one did you go to in Devon ?

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:14 pm

In Leeds Armley Mills and the Abbey museum aren't free. Thackray medical museum isn't free but you can visit for a year for one entry fee as with Eureka.

I think the main cost issue with home ed is the loss of a wage - depends on family situation as PP have said.

Previous

Return to Home Education