Do I understand this link correctly?

My avatar
mama2boyz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Do I understand this link correctly?

Postby mama2boyz » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:07 pm

Slightly baffled here....

On this page http://www.moteaco.com/36scope.html, are they saying that on the age 3-6 curriculum they expect a child to know what the following are:

Noun
Article
Adjective
Conjunction
Preposition
Verb
Adverb
Pronoun
Interjection

:shock:

I know what all those are but I studied linguistics. DH on the other hand has a PHD and doesn't know all of them.

Most adults don't know all those terms and I haven't even looked at all the rest of the suggested curriculum.

Surely I must have misunderstood the purpose of that webpage??

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Do I understand this link correctly?

Postby ladybird » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:10 pm

I would think it's how to use them in day to day speech, not actually identify them.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:15 pm

We don't ~he but by age 6 we were getting that to be done at home, ermm thank goodness for Google as my time at school has looong since passed!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:21 pm

I don't really understand the context of that link - at first glance it looks a bit too prescriptive for my tastes... But I'm of the 'making it up as we go along' school of thought ;)

My avatar
joeli
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby joeli » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:54 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:I don't really understand the context of that link - at first glance it looks a bit too prescriptive for my tastes... But I'm of the 'making it up as we go along' school of thought ;)

It's just detailing what the Montessori curriculum covers during those years. So its' a proper school curriculum rather than anything to do with home educating.

I'm not sure they expect that them to know what they are exactly but I think it wouldn't be too hard to make say noun, verb, adjective, and adverbs cards and use them to make a sentence (i.e "the loud boy runs fast"). I'd have to research montessori teaching grammar 3-6 to know for sure how they do it.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:44 pm

As Steph says, it is a scope and sequence list of 3-6 'curriculum for Montessori (although not 'officially' Montessori IYKWIM)

It details the sorts of things you would plan to cover in that age group.

They are talking about using those word classes not using the technical labels for them, although it never hurst to introduce the 'technical terms' to even quite small children - they need to hear them and learn them to be able to use them!

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:45 pm

Useful links for those interested

http://www.michaelolaf.net/1CW36language.html

Montessori is actually quite structured in some ways
http://www.infomontessori.com/language/total-reading-introduction.htm

Return to Home Education