hf1

Bit confused over the Alphabet

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Bit confused over the Alphabet

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:32 pm

Ok, so obviously I know it :wink: But the toots are slowly learning it, and can almost say the whole ABC song. And we also do flashcards, but should I be saying the phonetic sound or the letter name? I'm doing a mixture of both but not sure if I'm confusing them.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Bit confused over the Alphabet

Postby ladybird » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:37 pm

We did sounds first and then names. So Ah, Buh, kuh. And then went on to ay, bee, see.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:39 pm

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:49 pm

Sounds girst. Would recommend looking up synthetic phonics to find out more, also helps clarify how some of them should be said. Also all the extra sounds. I'm on my phone now, but will return later.

My avatar
yummymummysaraya
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby yummymummysaraya » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:51 pm

early learning centre sell the jolly phonics books that most nurserys use to teach the alphabet, they might be a good place to get ideas for teaching them at home? xx

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:59 pm

I did sounds and names together and then introduced words that began with that letter later on.

My avatar
emsy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby emsy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:04 pm

im a teaching assistant in a reception class and we teach them both at the same time eg when introducing them to a we would teach them that the phonic is aye and its name is A :) right from the beginning!! they cope better learning both than learning the sound then later the name xoxo

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:12 pm

emsy wrote:im a teaching assistant in a reception class and we teach them both at the same time eg when introducing them to a we would teach them that the phonic is aye and its name is A :) right from the beginning!! they cope better learning both than learning the sound then later the name xoxo

I teach Primary 1 and that's exactly what we do. The children can then use their knowledge of phonics to blend the sounds together to work out simple words. eg. p - i - n says pin and so on. We also talk about words that start with the sound we're working on as well.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:16 pm

emsy wrote:im a teaching assistant in a reception class and we teach them both at the same time eg when introducing them to a we would teach them that the phonic is aye and its name is A :) right from the beginning!! they cope better learning both than learning the sound then later the name xoxo

Thanks this is what I have been doing lately, since they started to sing their ABC's, and I was a bit afraid I would be hoplessley confusing them.

They also will often say a word that starts with a letter rather than the letter, for example E is egg. Is this normal? I do say 'yes E for Egg or E for elephant etc' is it just a matter of keep repeating the same thing over and over?

Next

Return to Home Education